Steeped Uncracked Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I'm doing an extract brew (havn't brewed extract in a couple years) and of all things I forgot to crack the steeping grain.

This shouldn't be a problem because I'm not trying to extract the sugars... right?

Or did I just mess up my batch?

I did it on my second batch. You just dont extract as much flavor and color as you would with cracked grain, but it will still work.

Yeah, I ended up with the same problem. I ordered some grains and didn't think to ask them to run them through the mill for me. I put them in a doubled up zip lock and pounded on em with a meat tenderizer but I'm sure at least half the grains stayed whole. I did end up with the desired color, but who knows how different it would have been if I split them properly.

I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was brewing. It looks like the grinder at my LHBS needs a little tighter adjustment because I had a large amount of whole grains.

The color and scent did seem to come out well, I turned down the heat and steeped them a little longer before bringing it all to a boil.

I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was brewing. It looks like the grinder at my LHBS needs a little tighter adjustment because I had a large amount of whole grains.

The color and scent did seem to come out well, I turned down the heat and steeped them a little longer before bringing it all to a boil.

Did your beer turn out alright? I just pulled a rookie mistake and steeped/mashe 3.75 lbs of uncracked grain in hopes of makeing a Bock.

Rookie....:(

Back