'Brewery' names...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I'm reading in quite a few people's signature the name of a brewery. I also read that the laws state you can brew up to 100 gallons per person of age in a household in a year's time. The law named the household as a brewery.

My question is this:

Do these people have these brewery names as licensed businesses or just a name for their hobby homebrewing? Just curious since I'm quite new to all this!!

I would venture to guess that it is just the individual's name for their garage/man cave brewery. Not actual licensed breweries. Seeing as how hardly any of us actually sell our beer, it's just for fun

It's our brewery name most of us it's our home, garage, or man cave....Some have dreams of making it a real brewery......

Just part of the hobby......

No, I'm quite certain that most are the names for their home brewery as fantasy-type names.

I'm simple and went with "Collins Brewery" when I was brewing with my brother 8 or so years ago.

That's what I thought, it's great. I'll have to start thinking of what to call my little setup!

Osborn Brewing is a registered LLC in Ohio. I took the extra step. What i can write-off now is AMAZING! Pretty much if I talk about beer while spending money it's a business expense. I DO NOT sell alcohol. Yeast, malt and hops and services are all good money makers around here for me, pretty much net out annually. Maintaining a Monthly profit and loss statement has helped me take a new look at this hobby and spot several inefficiencies in my system. I was spending a TON on gas and yeast, which led to a rework on my processes.
If you do incorporate hire or trade beer with an accountant. I am not one, theoney you spend on a good accountant will be more then made up in tax savings.

Osborn, what are your profits then? Unless I'm selling my beer I can't think of how this hobby is anything but a black hole for money.

It's our brewery name most of us it's our home, garage, or man cave....Some have dreams of making it a real brewery......

Just part of the hobby......

I think most of us dream about that at one point or another. I have even written up a few business plans and have researched all about what I would need to do to get licensed. Needless to say, I'm thinking it's more along the lines of being a retirement activity at this point...

I too am interested in how and what you write off. Also what you sell to legitimize the writeoffs. Please share.

As far as taking a loss, business vs hobby goes, the answer I got:

An activity is presumed for profit if it makes a profit in at least three of the last five tax years, including the current year. The fourth year of a loss would put you in the hobby loss, which is an activity not for profit.
If an activity is not for profit, losses from that activity may not be used to offset other income. An activity produces a loss when related expenses exceed income. The limit on not-for-profit losses applies to individuals, partnerships, estates, trusts, and S corporations. It does not apply to corporations other than S corporations.

Pay attention to the last 2 sentences.

Basically you can show a loss for three years, then you HAVE to make money, or break even. The IRS does not want a bunch of hopheads saying HEY! I can incorporate my homebrew activity, not sell anything and use that to offset earned income and never pay taxes! If you lose for 3+ years, it's a hobby. Hidden hint: Don't show a loss year 4 and break even year 5. Another thing is, I know I am pushing the limits of the tax code, I am prepared for an audit. I am also not trying to NOT pay any taxes, however I do pay significantly less then otherwise. I am not an accountant of an attorney, DO NOT quote me.

Like I said prior get to know a good accountant. There a TON of benefits in the US tax code to help out the small business owner.

As far as profits go: I grow hops, barley and some yeast strains. In an area where the local HBS is 1+ hours away, it is VERY easy to get a network of homebrewers together VERY EASY.
I also brew cider, root beer and roast coffee beans. All of which are sellable without special licensing.
I talked with the local community colleges and trade-skill centers. I do brewing lectures pretty much every quarter, and other groups: a couple churches, the Y, Elks and a Electricians Union have had me come do some fun presentations on homebrewing. All of which I get paid to do. It is amazing how many groups, companies have budgeted for guest speakers and are just dieing for a fun new topic.

I have also been selling tshirts for about 10 years now, and it's been a nice cash cow.

If you really wanted to push limits, I think you could claim a loss for 3 years, defunct your business the next year, ie don't claim anything, may have to go two, and then be right back in business (ie losing money) again the following year. I imagine you would get audited the 2nd cycle, but an audit can only go back 5 years, so the first 3 years of losing would be untouchable. Remember, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Mine is definitely fantasy, but is specific to where I brew my beer in my house. Our house used to be heated with coal, but now we have a NG furnace, so that coal storage room is mine (cleaned of course). Coal Room Brewing. It's what I tell folks when they ask me. That comes up a lot more than you'd think.

For those thinking about writing off their homebrewing:

It's not as easy as claiming losses on an activity for three years -- in the event of an audit you do have to show that the activity was moving towards producing a product or a service. So, just homebrewing isn't likely to cut it, but if it is part of a product you produce (e.g. making specialty grain from 2 row, growing hops, etc.) or a service (e.g. speaking on homebrewing for money, opening a profit-seeking website about brewing, teaching people how to homebrew, forming a for-profit homebrewing organization) then you're more likely to survive an audit.

Overall, I'd like to raise a glass of homebrew to the many garage-brewery names I've seen here on HBT. They are creative, clever, cool and sometimes just damn funny.

Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with something, then...

Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with something, then...

What you need is inspiration.

any pets, hobbies, natural landmarks, national/regional parks, strange disfigurements, accomplishments, special achievements, interesting occupation or something else you identify yourself or your location with?

What you need is inspiration.

any pets, hobbies, natural landmarks, national/regional parks, strange disfigurements, accomplishments, special achievements, interesting occupation or something else you identify yourself or your location with?

I'm a diehard waterfowler, so it'll probably have some type of duck/goose ring to it.

I beat ya to it:mug:

Well...I just settled on a name for my "nano brewery" the other day. Two Trees Brewing Company is now "official". Hell....I even have my own facebook page:mug: So fellow brewers please become a fan of Two Trees Brewing on FB!! I will be sure to do the same!!

OsbornBrewing, thanks for the info. I knew there had to be some sort of income somewhere, but our LHBS is very close and very awesome and there are many people more experienced than I in the area, so ΚΑΛΛΙΣΤΙ brewing (beer for the prettiest one) will have to remain in my head for the time being :)

How about Stubz Suds for a brewery name? I'm missing half my middle finger (which does kind of suck) and some of my buddies call me stubby...

Back