Homemade Pasties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstev50

Reaction score
img0676aw.jpg

Listening to NPR last weekend and they were profiling Michigan's Upper Peninsula. They interviewed the owner of Lawry's Pasties and had his recipe posted on their site. They aren't they greatest looking I've seen, but damn! Sure tasted as good as anything I've brought home with me. Not bad for a Troll!

Makes 4 pasties
Crust
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup water
Dash salt

Cut shortening into flour and salt, add water and knead until well blended. Form into four balls and chill.
Roll into four circles.

Preheat oven to 400.

Filling
3/4 lb ground chuck or cubed steak
3 cups diced potatoes
1/2 cup each diced onion and rutabaga
2 tablespoons dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Divide into 4 equal portions and place in center of each crust. Fold over and seal edges. Bake at 400 for 50 -60 minutes.

I love pasties-I almost asked Yoop to bring some down, but didn't want to inconvenience her.

I think I'll try this recipe this weekend-it's supposed to be nasty weather.

If only smoked whitefish was this easy. :(

LMAO! They are probably the worst looking pasties I have ever seen!.......However, they also look full of the good stuff. Kinda like doing the ugly chick, and finding out she was really good in the sack. ;)

It's not always about how she looks on the outside. Sometimes, the experience on the inside is a dream! :)

What a let down......
This is sooooo not what I was thinking this thread was about :D:D:D

Those do look mighty tasty though, might have to try 'em

I used to love pasties back when I lived in Michigan. Now I've got to make them myself and I rarely think about making them till I see a post like this.

I'm going to have to make some more in the next week

Doesn't matter to me what they look like, as long as they taste good! And I bet those do!
I think that's on my list of what to make for next week!

What a let down......
This is sooooo not what I was thinking this thread was about :D:D:D

Those do look mighty tasty though, might have to try 'em

For the uninitiated, these are pronounced differently. As in Patsies, except with the S where the T should be. :cross:

I love pasties-I almost asked Yoop to bring some down, but didn't want to inconvenience her.

I think I'll try this recipe this weekend-it's supposed to be nasty weather.

If only smoked whitefish was this easy. :(

Oh, I wish you would have asked! I didn't even think about it. Pastys are everywhere here- we have way more pasty shops than fast food places.

When the weather gets cold, I can UPS some frozen ones to you. Remind me, though- because I drink you know.

LMAO! They are probably the worst looking pasties I have ever seen!.......However, they also look full of the good stuff. Kinda like doing the ugly chick, and finding out she was really good in the sack. ;)

It's not always about how she looks on the outside. Sometimes, the experience on the inside is a dream! :)

ooh yeah, they was ugly...but damn they was good! Next time I'm making a bit more dough. Couldn't wrap it very well around all that good stuff inside. But these tasted as good as some that I've had in da UP. :rockin:

Dammit. Now I'm going to have to make some Pasties!

I've had some good ones in the UP, but also had a few dry and bland ones. Good to see a recipe with some recommendations!

Ohhh, they look good!! We make them a couple times a year. Our recipe varies a little. Here it is:

Dough:
4 cups flour, dash salt, 1 ½ cups solid vegetable shortening 1 cup cold water

Combine flour and a dash of salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly add water until mixture forms a sticky ball. With floured hands, shape into ball, wrap with wax paper, and put in refrigerator one hour before preparing filling.

Filling:
1 lb lean beef ¼” cubes
1 lb lean pork ¼” cubes
4-8 potatoes depending on their size pealed & cubed
2-4 onions depending on their size sliced thin & quartered
Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Divide the dough into 6 pieces, and roll one of the pieces into a 10-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Put 1 1/2 cups of filling on half of the round. Add a dab of butter on the top. Moisten the edges and fold the unfilled half over the filling to enclose it. Pinch the edges together to seal them and crimp them decoratively with a fork. Transfer pasty to lightly buttered baking sheet and cut several slits in the top. Roll out and fill the remaining dough in the same manner. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cover with a damp tea towel, cool for 15 minutes.

You're missing the rutabagas!

I like a little carrot and rutabaga in mine. I don't use pork, and I don't know anybody who does. Usually it's just beef. I use venison, though, because I have a lot of it.

Hey- Mike and Jim and Leo- when the weather gets cold down in Troll-land, let me know and I'll UPS some frozen ones to you. Or, I'll bring some down at Christmas time on my way through.

I love me the pasties. Too bad you can't get the Toivo and Eino's pasty sauce anymore, that stuff rocks. Beats ketchup by a long haul!

You're missing the rutabagas!

I like a little carrot and rutabaga in mine. I don't use pork, and I don't know anybody who does. Usually it's just beef. I use venison, though, because I have a lot of it.

Hey- Mike and Jim and Leo- when the weather gets cold down in Troll-land, let me know and I'll UPS some frozen ones to you. Or, I'll bring some down at Christmas time on my way through.

OK, it's COLD down here. I turned the furnace on yesterday morning. Must be getting soft in my old age. And I love winter!

Making another batch this weekend. Pam asked for carrots after the last ones. I wanted to stay true to the recipe, but I'm giving in this time. Can't leave out the rutabaga, that's like trying to make beer without hops!

Hmmm....

Apparently, I'm not god enough anymore for Yooper's pasties. I've been tossed out like yesterday's mail. *sniff*.... fine. I'll make my own.

:D

Those look, and sound, a lot like the Empanadas and Jamaican Meat Pies that I make, only without the spicy heat. Probably the same culinary basis.

These sound good and look like something that is pretty simple to make I am no chef! They also look like a good thing to take to work the next day. Might suggest this to SWMBO. Anyone have the Pasty Sauce recipe? My SMWBO is a BIG Sauce person.

But Bernie, I'm going to UPS theirs down to them.

I'll HAND DELIVER yours!

I was going to post after this, but I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't make me sound like a dirty old man. I wouldn't want you guys to think of me that way! :D

On a serious note, Yooper, I'd gladly taste your pasties. (drum, drum, cymbal). You are always welcome to stop by on your way through too, if you ever need a place to stay over.

Back