Fermentation temp questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was planning to brew in my basement, I checked the situation out last night and it is fairly warm and very humid down there. I'm thinking this is not a good thing.

This brings me to the first question. What are the air temps where you all are brewing? My house should be able to stay around 70-75 degrees most days. I've seen a water bath used to keep the temp down. How much will this cool things off? If outside air temp is 75 and I use a water bath will that work ok? I've also seen guys use frozen soda bottles to keep the water bath cooler.

Any suggestions? Are there types of beers that will prefer this temp range?

Also does it hurt anything if at night the temp drops into the low 60's? I guess there again the water bath would help keep a constant temp, right?

Okay I have one more, I know yeast likes around 65-68 degree normally, is that the internal temp or the outside temp? If i get the sticky thermometer for the outside of the carboy should I go by that temp or what?

Thanks everyone.

Todd

The temperature ranges listed for yeast strains are the temp of the fermenting wort, which, during active fermentation, can be several degrees above the ambient temperature.

I was a little confused by your post: is 70-75 the temp range for your basement, or for the main floor of the house? That range is a little on the warm side for most ales, but do-able.

Basement temps usually don't fluctuate much over the course of 24 hours, so that's probably a non-issue. If yours does, then yes, a water bath will help even out the temps, and you can throw some ice in there every day if necessary.

Yes--go by the sticky thermometer on the carboy. Hint--put it horizontally, closer to the top than the bottom of the carboy. This will allow you to still read it if you use a water bath.

Sticky thermometers get weird when wet soaked in water, so be careful. Internal & external temperatures are much the same. This has been verified by forum members for both plastic and glass.

Safale56 and Nottingham can ferment cleanly at 75F, so maybe you should use those during the warm weather.

Putting a large carboard box over the fermenter & water bath will help hold the temperature stable.

Thanks guys.

I don't think I'll use the basement, it is pretty nasty down there.

The main level varies depending how hot it is outside and how much I run the AC. Generally it is below 75 but rarely if ever below 70.

I think I'll end up with a water bath for sure and I'll give that yeast a try.

Thanks

Back