Anyone tried fermenting in these...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw these online when I was looking up carboys...

Carboy

Anyone got an opinion on using something like this? I like the spigot for transferring and the handle for ...well... handling, but I am not sure about the 5 gallon size.

What do you think?

I haven't seen them posted around here, but the idea behind them being able to stack is great. The only things that might be holding them back are 1) are they foodgrade plastic, 2) how easy are they to clean, 3) How are you going to set up an airlock system, and 4) you will only be able to use them as secondary both because of their size and krausen/trub issues.

I don't know about fermenting, but I've been thinking about something like this to permanently keep a batch of StarSan around for easy dispensing.

I don't know about fermenting, but I've been thinking about something like this to permanently keep a batch of StarSan around for easy dispensing.

Good point wit hthe star san. I was trying to think of other things you could store in them? Massive amounts of extract maybe - exceot I think most people who would be going that far to purchase 5gallons of extract would probably be into AG by now

I think they would be great to drill a hole in and put the rubber groment from a bucket in. especially for big beers that need to secondary for a long time.

I was also thinking maybe out of the side (or back) since there doesn't look to be a lot of room until the next shelf

I'm just not sure how the airlock is going to work effectively when the fluid is draining out of it because it is installed horizontally. :p

I've fermented in something similar and didn't notice any difference in taste. If you want to avoid the shipping they sell these at walmart in the camping section.

I'm just not sure how the airlock is going to work effectively when the fluid is draining out of it because it is installed horizontally. :p

Ha, I would obviously have to rig up some kind of "L" tube to connect it so it would be up straight

I've fermented in something similar and didn't notice any difference in taste. If you want to avoid the shipping they sell these at walmart in the camping section.

Just wanted to add - They're usually for sell next to the RO water machine in Walmart for $12.

As for fermenting in one of them, I wouldn't recommend it. They're designed for storing water, not fermenting beer. Do yourself a favor and purchase something that's designed to contain fermenting beer.

Back