Randon Cider Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbentz

Reaction score
Hi,
I have 5 gallons of tree top apple juice thats been around the house for a while and isnt likely to ever get drank.....so I figure Ill make it into cider.
Never made cider.....lits and lits of beer, but no cider.......but I figure someone on here could steer me in the right direction.
I have 1 packet of champaigne yeast, a 1056 smack pack, some light DME, and a ton of honey........
Was planning on adding a pound of DME, some brown sugar and a pound of honey to the 5 gallons of apple juice and throwing both of the yeasts on it and seeing what happens......
Never even dabbled in cider, any input?

You could make a cyser (cider and honey), but you'd need a lot more than a pound. Skip the DME. Use only one yeast, they don't play well together. The champagne yeast would probably kill the 1056.

Ok thanks guys......how do I get a couple pounds of sugar into the primary? Should I boil it into a solution of water like im making a starter? And if so how much water will it take to dissolve that much sugar?

Check the cider recipes for Graham's Cider...an English style. I have made 10 gallons of this stuff. It easy, it's tasty, but it's pretty light. I added no extra sugars or DME...pretty much just followed the recipe.

I like it....but, not only is it the first cider I have made, it's the first cider I've ever tasted. So, what do I know? I almost bought a couple of commerical bottles the other day to compare with mine, but then I chickened out. What if I found out what I made was really nasty? I got 10 gallons stuff!;)

You can dissolve sugar into room temp cider just by stirring it in. Not a big deal, no water needed. Personally I never add sugar in primary. Starting with 1.050 juice gets you 6.5% ABV.

BTW you'll want some pectic enzyme to help the cider clear, and some yeast nutrient to keep the yeasties happy. Apple juice is very low in nutrients.

1 pack of dry champagne yeast enough or do I need more?
When do I add the peptic enzyme?
The Brown sugar, if I add it, doesnt need to be sterile before adding to the juice? Just stir it in there?

1 pack for 5 gal is fine. Rehydrate it first. Pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient can go in when you pitch the yeast. If the sugar is in a sealed package I don't think anybody bothers with boiling it first.

Latest posts

Back