recommendations for a good hoppy American IPA extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlfindley74

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a good hoppy American IPA extract recipe. i prefer a IPA with more aroma and flavor from the hops than bitterness from the hops. I know this probably isn't a realistic comparison when asking for a extract IPA recipe but I'm a big fan of the green flash West Coast IPA, Sweetwater IPA, and any other IPA's similar to that that have a big citrusy aroma and a flavor but finish more smoothly than bitter. am I going to get that flavor and aroma from dry hopping more so than my hop schedule during the boil?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/

Have you tried hitting up the recipe section? Lots of fantastic clone recipes as well as all originals. There are all grain versions and extract versions. I've used 3 recipes from this site and constantly brew those on a regular basis. Good luck.

I believe as of right now Austin home brew as a deal if you buy one pliney the elder clone you get one free. This is an imperial ipa but as I'm sure most people on this forum can contest to, its one of the best. Just a thought. You could maybe even find someone on here to split the cost and you each get one.

Just bought the bogo pliny kit myself. $70 for 2 big kits including shipping is a great deal. That was without adding yeast since I have some us05 and conan. Hopefully its good.

Just bought my Pliny kits on AHB. So excited, even though it will postpone my other planned beers. Just too good of a deal to pass up, and will definitely give me my hop fix.

Yea it's a great deal. Unfortunately I bought all of the ingredients about a week before this deal was announced. Oh well

Anyone brew this yet or in the recent past? Read the reviews on AHB but would rather hear from us hbt'ers

reed1911 said:
I cannot find Pliney the Elder on the AHS website.

Wow... You're right. I tried finding it thru the email they sent me but said the product could not be found. I guess they sold out. You could try calling them

Thanks for the recipe suggestions. Now, hop flavor vs hop bitterness, i.assume dry hop additions are the best way to achieve flavor over bitter. Yes?

jlfindley74 said:
Thanks for the recipe suggestions. Now, hop flavor vs hop bitterness, i.assume dry hop additions are the best way to achieve flavor over bitter. Yes?

Late additions in the boil and dry hop will contribute more flavor and aroma as opposed to bitterness. I usually add hops at 10, 5, and 0 mins left in boil and then dry hop for approx 5 days.

in regards to your dry hopping, Is that to say you add 1oz of hops of choice every day for 5 days?
Is that the first five days of primary?

jlfindley74 said:
in regards to your dry hopping, Is that to say you add 1oz of hops of choice every day for 5 days?
Is that the first five days of primary?

No, you will want to add the hops after primary fermentation is complete. I usually add 1-3 oz of hops all at one time for approx 5 days depending on the style of beer. I have read some forums where brewers dry hop at 2 different stages but I have not done this yet. There is some debate on adding hops in the primary vs secondary fermenter. I always add in the primary fermenter bc I rarely secondary my beer and have never had a problem.

Hop-burst your IPA. That will give big time hop flavor. It can even allow you to shorten your boil time, which will lighten the color a bit. Of course use the extract late method.

My IPA uses 2 ounces of high alpha hops at 15 minutes, and 2 ounces in the final 3-5 minutes. That gets my IBUs pretty high, so I only need to add a little bit of bittering hops for balance. It's been very well received by all who have tried it. I prefer it over most commercial IPAs that I've had.

Back