New site, new stand, new projects...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePearsonFam

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am working on an amatuer brewing site for information sharing and for fun (trying to learn how to build sites). If you want to provide feedback, please feel free (I'd like the help). Thanks.

Along that same line, I hope to build my brew stand in the next couple weeks. I'll post the deisgn and photos at the site when able. I'd also love pointers and advice on design improvements if you have any.

What is your favorite DIY project you've done? I have an issue with wanting new projects.

Thanks, Rob

What is your favorite DIY project you've done? I have an issue with wanting new projects.

I think my favorite build was doing my all-electric brew rig. It took a lot of time and a fair bit of money but it really came together in the end and works well. I don't have to drag out a bunch of equipment when I want to brew, just turn on the water, turn on the element and get the HLT going.

Uhm....I don't want to come off as rude, but considering you are new here, this feels like some backhanded form of spam...I mean, the first thing on your page is this...

That's it, it's time! It is time to help home brewers around the world come together in one place. Please help get people together by spreading this web addy to all your home brewer friends. My goal is to have a resource page that provides guidance, downloads and discussion opportunities. If you have something in mind that will help improve this site, then please drop me an email or complete the simple survey.

But, isn't that what we are already doing here?:confused:

SO you want us to help you compete with us?????

Every now and then we get someone in here with some pie in the sky idea, or looking for something FROM us, like a recipe or something right off the bat, in their very first post...Without first giving anything to the community.

We even had some guy on here a few weeks back who wanted us to give him a recipe so his wife could win an award....someone else asking us what kind of brewing tool we "need" so he could patent it and invent it...not knowing a damn thing about brewing...another one wanted to design brewing software, and wanted us to help him...not even being aware of all the brewing software already out there, some of it created by our very own members.....and some of it free.

It really has sort of an "I don't really care about you and what you have going on here, I just want to take advantage of you," feeling....Especially if you spent some time around here participating and being a part of the culture BEFORE HAND (like some of the vendors on here, they don't just try to sell to us, they actually give back to the group with help, wisdom, insight, and advice...not just trying to take something from us without first giving something back, like us getting to know you, and you getting to know us....

If you spent more than 5 minutes here, you'd have already realized that the whole point of this website is sharing your recipes, ideas, gadgets, and life outside of brewing. Thats why people actually PAY to support a place such as homebrewtalk.com.

Like I said I don't wanna come of like a hardcase...but "Hi I don't know you, and I haven't spent enough time here to get to know what a wonderful resource this is, but I plan on duplicating it, and want your intellectual property." Kinda just strikes me as a bit...wrong....

But, isn't that what we are already doing here?:confused:

SO you want us to help you compete with us?????

If you spent more than 5 minutes here, you'd have already realized that the whole point of this website is sharing your recipes, ideas, gadgets, and life outside of brewing. Thats why people actually PAY to support a place such as homebrewtalk.com.

I agree that the post did seem kind of spam-y, but are we really at a saturation point where we no longer need any homebrew forums? Sure HBT is a great site, but there are 4-5 others sites I also frequent, and each are valuable in their own way.

I may have taken your post completely wrong, but it sounded like you were saying that we have this site, and no one else should start another one, because we already have this one.

If someone wants to start their own site, more power to them. Hopefully it works out, if it turns into an active forum (such as this one), awesome, I'll be there. If there is only 1-2 posts a week, well, that'll just work it self out in the end. :)

As far as my favorite DIY project, it is hands down my brewing stand. It's the project that never ends, as I'm always tweaking, redesigning or modifying the dang thing to my current mood that week. Maybe someday I'll be satisfied with it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree that the post did seem kind of spam-y, but are we really at a saturation point where we no longer need any homebrew forums? Sure HBT is a great site, but there are 4-5 others sites I also frequent, and each are valuable in their own way.

I may have taken your post completely wrong, but it sounded like you were saying that we have this site, and no one else should start another one, because we already have this one.

I'm saying, rather than starting his relationship with us off with "I want to take from you, your ideas." That perhaps he should give something to us first, like becoming part of our community...getting to know us, sharing some of himself with us, even sharing some of HIS know how...before he announces that he wants to take from us.

Then when we know him, I'd be all about supporting his website. I've gone to and support regularly, plenty of websites that our members have created....Bobby M's Videos on youtube, Lustreking brewing, Austin Homebrew supply, Grinder's Island.. Places that people who have roots in this community have put up....

I love new brewing sites, and other places.....I've probably linked more info, or cited more stuff from other sites here than you have.

BUT before someone comes in and says he wants to take from us, I think he could at least spends some time getting to know us......

I've cited all my reasons in the first post above....I've seen it done here a few more times than you evidently have, and maybe I am a little protective of this site....

I learned so much here, that rather that run off and take all that I learned on here, and use it for my own personal gain, I decided to give back to the community by helping new brewers, and by freely sharing my knowledge, and my "inventions" and DIY's first in the community that I am a part of......

Capice?

:mug:

Greetings,

Thank you for the well stated replies. Honestly, I am not trying to take anything away from this site, nor am I trying to be a user or spammer. I apologize if I came off that way. I am simply trying to get ideas from people that like these sites since you've been around them longer than I have. My intent is to make it more cohesive between the main page and the forums for designs and photos. I've just started placing my build photos on the main page and the parts list. Again, I apologize if I came across that way.

Clearly I struck a nerve...

Thanks

The first thing I would do is change the name of your site. Maybe it's just me, but I find the name somewhat distasteful and it seriously lacks class. IOW, it's uncool. I could be completely wrong on this. It wouldn't be the first time as others can attest!

I kinda have to side with what Revvy has posted. Nothing wrong with your concept and if your site develops as you hope it will, many of us will probably visit and participate.

The whole fact that you started this thread on the 5th and here it is the 13th and you are only now responding, and haven't posted anywhere else here, sort of goes to show really how little you care about this site....

I mean there are very few people who post only once every week on a forum, if they are part of the community. Most people who feel a part of this place wouldn't let a week go by without checking in, expecially if they started a thread.....

Usually this place get under people's skin, and they can't NOT be a part of it, even if they are uber busy, they try to touch base, at least once a day or so....

Cat is a good example...he's been here since Jan. and he has a fairly developed postcount presence on here....

I get what Revvy is talking about... and I agree. 5 posts and already looking to us for intellectual property. A but distasteful.

I also agree with the other post. Badassbrew.com? Badass Reviews? Badass photos?

My suggestion... get rid of the Badass part, it isnt very Badass.

Alright, some of us do have other things going on in our lives... Now you are just being rude.

I appreciate the insight on the name for those that are being constructive.

Thanks

Hey bro, ignore em. There are a lot of ppl here with a huge post count and it's sad cuz I think they must really have no life at all. Go on build your site, I'm sure it will turn out good
but make sure people can't have those sickening vanity tags under their posts on your forums. :)

All of us have other things going on in our lives, I dont know what that means.

I think that everyone has been constructive, you asked for advice. Since there is really no content on the site, there is little to critique, but having the word "ass" in everything isnt very professional. That is very constructive.

Hey bro, ignore em. There are a lot of ppl here with a huge post count and it's sad cuz I think they must really have no life at all. Go on build your site, I'm sure it will turn out good
but make sure people can't have those sickening vanity tags under their posts on your forums. :)

OR they have been active members and have added a ton of helpul content relating to inventions, DIY, HOW TO and helping noobs... shame on us, shame on us all for posting our builds or helping noobs mid mash... :D

Reinventing the wheel; nothing that you're doing on your new site that isn't already being done here (and many other places online).

You've got photos; HBT has huge galleries
You've got designs; HBT has some of the smartest DIY folks around with insanely informative threads
You've got reviews; we've got some, although BA and RateBeer are obviously larger
You've got recipes (well, not yet); we've got a kick-ass database
You're got links; Revvy has links out the wazoo
You've got a survey... well, you got us beat there.

We also have about eight million other things; groups, competitions, and an insanely awesome of camaraderie.

Oh, forums. We got those.

Sorry, I don't want to discourage, but... what are you building that's interesting enough for me to want to join?

Really, what are you trying to do that's different?

So, c'mon, grab a beer and join us, stop spending time making a website and start spending it making beer!

The Bird...

You have over 14,000 posts... GET A LIFE!:D

The Bird...

You have over 14,000 posts... GET A LIFE!:D

Yeah, I guess if you volunteer to be a mod for a long time, then go into semi retirement, but still contribute because you care, means you are an A##hat with no life or something...NOT because you care about providing info and helping people brew great beer or anything.

Yah, I take back my HERMS, ELECTRIC HERMS and other DIY threads. Oh, and I take back my experiments too. I take it all back!

Like I can help the fact that airline capts. sit in hotels like 18 hours a day with jack to do!:D

lol - you guys really are having fun now, I see...
The floodgates have opened! :D

Brrman...

Scratch the brew day and webcast this coming weekend. I have a life now and I am no longer going to help you... you noob :D

So......... I am "working from home" tomorrow. I think somehow 5 gallons of smoked porter is going to appear in the fermentation chamber. I know, off topic, just had to share with someone.

So......... I am "working from home" tomorrow. I think somehow 5 gallons of smoked porter is going to appear in the fermentation chamber. I know, off topic, just had to share with someone.

You can share that smoked porter with me, if that's what you mean!

Come on over in a couple months! My first smoked beer so we'll see, may end up needing to come over in a year after the smoke has subdued some :)

Subdued! Hells, no, you can never have enough smoke!

I need to get my kitchen finished so I can brew again, I think I've got some rauchmalt in inventory....

7 lb weyermann smoked malt (beachwood)
3 lb munich
1 lb caravienne
1 lb chocolate
.5 lb crystal 40

Random bittering hops to 23 IBU

We'll see, I plan on using the nottingham cake to pitch my RIS on (going for a Dark Lord - like brew)

My fault, just excited. I think I'll head to bed, still need to log on at 7 am and process some files etc. Have a good night!

Dude... Don't worry about what all these old F*cks have to say!!!
They have nothing better to do than put down others to make up for their own lack of balls. Good luck with your new site! Hope it takes off and can be a place for all to come and talk about the hobby they love.

Hmmm...I may not be the best contributor to this site. I stumbled across it when I got back into the hobby and have loved it ever since. I have also spanned far and wide across the internet in search of advice, technique and experience to draw from. I freely ponied up the money to become a member as I feel that the fee would more than pay for the knowledge that I could get just by asking a question. I have asked those questions and have been very thankful with the responses that I have gotten. My father also got back into this hobby and I pointed him here. He quickly payed for a membership himself as he too felt it was worthwhile.

I love the internet for all the information that it gives. Without a doubt the greatest invention in my lifetime as of yet. One of the greatest things about it is that as long as you have access and the time there is nothing that you cannot find something out about. Most of those things are free of charge. I really feel that there is not too much content available for me to check out. I doubt that I ever will. In fact I welcome the chance to find even more.

I hope to be able to give back to this community even a small portion of what I have already received. I do check this site out just about everyday. More than any other. I can only wonder if it was started by a person that was offering something that may have already been available elsewhere, was looking for people to check it out, give advice, and maybe did not have a catchy name. I don't know and that really is not my point. My point is, if this person starts up a website and I happen to like it as much as I do this one then I will gladly pay for a membership there as well. I would be that much better off and not the slightest upset that he was not a big contributor to this community.

I say lets get thousand...hundreds of thousands of websites, forums, podcasts, etc and welcome them all as much as we do this site and be thankful for the knowledge pool that we have to learn from. After all, that is what this is all about.

Every single thing I have come across in the course of getting into this hobby, and I mean every single damn thing, has been done here before. I should also mention it has been done by people who are quite a bit smarter than me. So as much fun as screwing stuff up and wasting money on uninformed crap ideas can be, it is awesome that I can come here, post a stupid question and get a "Listen kid, here is what you have to do" answer - so I can get deeper into this hobby faster. So kudos to the guys who have been here for a long time, and as far as I've seen nobody has hit the 20,000 post mark - so I dare you all to go for it. And if somebody has, 25,000 is probably out there.

As an afterthought (and maybe this is because this semester has been kinda rough) it is planning the beer that I am going to brew and the projects I am going to put together this summer that creates a large part of any "life" that I have.

Long Live HBT. Damn right.

I don't know and that really is not my point. My point is, if this person starts up a website and I happen to like it as much as I do this one then I will gladly pay for a membership there as well. I would be that much better off and not the slightest upset that he was not a big contributor to this community.

I say lets get thousand...hundreds of thousands of websites, forums, podcasts, etc and welcome them all as much as we do this site and be thankful for the knowledge pool that we have to learn from. After all, that is what this is all about.

[sarcasm]
Nope, I think you are missing the point. Everything that you could possibly ever want to do has already been done here. It's pointless to come up with something new, because it's not new. Also, any other site that "appears" to have something different, it's not. It was probably copied off of somewhere on here. No need for recipe books, they've got a recipe database. Throw away the digital camera, cause someone on here has already taken a picture of what you've built, regardless.
[/sarcasm]

After rethinking things, I can understand where some may complain that someone "new" to the board asks for something on their first few posts. I get that, I don't agree, but I get it. Me personally, if someone asks me a question, and I can help in some way (and I actually have the time to respond), I'm going to try and help. I could care less about how many posts you have or how many recipes you've contributed. It's not a matter of competing, it's helping the homebrewing community.

However, I find it really disappointing to see people bashing someone for trying to do something for the homebrewing community. Sure this board is a large community, but the homebrewing community is much, much larger and we are all part of it. I think some people lose sight of that. The whole mentality that this board is here, so we don't need the others, everything we could ever want is already here is just wrong, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, this site is a great... no.. fantastic resource. But you are kidding you are kidding yourself if there not room for more sites out there.

Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back