$15.00 price range?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually pick up a case of newcastle from costco for like 22 bucks. Little out of your price range, but that's a great session brew.

I once bought a CASE (that's 24 ya'll) of Mikes (beer, I've never seen the brand before or since) for $4.00! That was in 1994 or so, college. It was so bad you couldn't give it away, I mean really like you'd give someone one and they'd come back later like, umm... is this beer?

OK to answer the question... I can't really think of anything drinkable under 15 a case, maybe natural light in the stubby bottles or back in the day The Beast used to be good, Milwaukees Best.

You could just go to Texas and try to buy beer with your out of state ID and then just steal the beer because you are so pissed off because they won't sell you beer without a valid TX state ID regardless of age!

He said he needs a case- that is PA law

No this isn't quite it, the law is that an independent store or bar cannot sell more than a 6 pack at a time. So there are lots of 6 pack stores around, but the price is higher and they usually have a side line in the store like sandwiches. Usually sell 40's as well. These stores are open later and longer and usually 7 days a week.

The other side is larger supply stores, that have shorter hours (as in close @ 6pm) and are required to be closed one day a week (most choose monday so to be open for football sunday) and they sell cases and kegs. Heck some even deliver the kegs if you want, many times we got kegs deliverd to the frat house, but it was cheaper to pick up so did that when we had a truck available.

I lived in eastern PA for 5 years and Western PA for another 5, but have been in AZ now for 10 so things may have changed a bit, but I know they have not changed to much as I have a friend that runs a bar down in the South Side of Pitt, always bitches that he can't get booze cheaper than the average person so is hard to make a ton, mixed drinks are more profitable than beer due to this. In PA the bars have to buy from the same supplier for cases/kegs at the same price as everyone else, it is state regulated.

When i moved to AZ it was a shock to buy beer in groceries and gas stations, but then i suddenly realized that it is all BMC and more expensive than the Micro cases in PA, until recently you didn't even see 24's regularly usually 18 pack bottles and 30 pack cans, so it is a trade off. You have to find some specialty shops for a good selection in Phx, although more and more stores are carrying micros as the years roll by. More available in AZ but 40% to 100% more expensive, cheaper in PA but have to get to store by 6pm to get it...

So to the OP it is hard for us to say as pricing and availabilty changes from state to state greatly due to patchwork laws. But I do remember Saranac was a resaonable NY Micro, as well as Yuengling of course, of course there always is Keystone or Milwalkee's Best :)

PS I still miss Yeungling, can get IC out here, but that is prety much BMC.

Your right. I'll have to look into the yuengling beers. I just hope I pick up something with some flavor. I'm pretty sure I tried their lager and It was just fizzy yellow plain beer. Any suggestions?

I suggest you try it again. It isn't the best beer in the world, but it also isn't plain yellow fizzy beer. It's not even yellow, it's more amber. Try the black and tan. I think they also have a porter in the same price range. For $15 a case, what they hell are you expecting?

I suggest you try it again. It isn't the best beer in the world, but it also isn't plain yellow fizzy beer. It's not even yellow, it's more amber. Try the black and tan. I think they also have a porter in the same price range. For $15 a case, what they hell are you expecting?

I'll definately try the beers you suggested next round. I broke down and spent $24.00 on a case of budwieser's american ale. Like I said earlier in this thread , I tried a pint of it the other day and it was really good. It has that craft beer flavor I like. Budwieser is smart by keeping the price below the $25.00 mark. I think this beer will become very popular for them.

So to the OP it is hard for us to say as pricing and availabilty changes from state to state greatly due to patchwork laws. But I do remember Saranac was a resaonable NY Micro, as well as Yuengling of course, of course there always is Keystone or Milwalkee's Best :)

Milwaukee's Best.... ugh...... In my first year of college I found a case of that for probably 5 or 6 dollars, and I thought "WOW! This is cheap!" And so I was bragging about my find to some older college kids, and they were making fun of it. I found out after trying it why they called it "The Beast". Even in my young, foolish days where I drank nothing but BMC, I knew this was bad beer. It tasted like the leftover crap from the bottom of a barrel of Miller Lite to me.

yuengling is delicious! too bad you can't find it in chicago

i happen to be a big goose island and sam adam's fan

check out sam adam's winter lager or goose island nut brown ale.

Stroh's.

Cheapest beer in town here but even if I was a millionaire I'd still only buy Stroh's. Haven't had to buy a case of beer in a long time, though. :)

I just noticed the $14.99 price tag on the empty PBR case I stole from my dad to store bottles in :eek: I won't touch the stuff, but hey, it's less than $15.

I don't know if you can find it in pgh, but we have a brewery in NEPA called the Lion Brewery. They're stuff is good, but comes in around $20 a case.

Molson Ice could fit your bill. I was paying $6 for a 6 pack, so by the case it should be around $15. A little light on taste though.

Yengleng isn't bad and can be had close to your price range.

Generally, I have a simple rule. I'm not going to buy beer that doesn't taste good just because money is tight. So, I'll either end up paying $25+ for a case or just not buying any...

Latest posts

Back