Heater IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
For our long cold ass winter nights here in AK

Give me some input!

17.0 American Two-row Pale
2.0 Munich Malt
1.0 Vienna Malt
0.8 Belgian Special B
0.8 Flaked Wheat

60 1 Warrior
60 1 Summit
30 1 warrior
30 1 Summit
10 1.0 Cascade
5 1.0 Cascade
Dry 1.0 Simcoe
Dry 1.0 Amarillo

1.095 (1.085 to 1.099) OG-
I get 116.6 IBU corrected-
Using Wyeast 1272 should yield 9.3%

This is the first time Ive used Vienna or Munich- So let me know if Im using too much

I dunno about special b in an IIPA, almost sounds like what you want is a barleywine.

You're fine with the vienna and munich. I don't have much more to add except maybe not enough cascade, but I'm a cascade fan.

If you want a larger hop-nose, you're going to need a lot more late hop additions (think 10 minutes and below).

The recipe in my drop down was ok, but still didn't deliver in the aroma department.

If you want a larger hop-nose, you're going to need a lot more late hop additions (think 10 minutes and below).

Good point. Maybe move the magnum you have for dry hopping to a 60 minute addition then you can shift everything up in the boil.

Close but I want a nice dry finish.

I just made a barleywine that used 2# corn sugar to keep it from being too syrupy. OG 1.097 - FG 1.012. I used yeast nutrient in the boil, pitched on a cake of Nottingham + 2 minutes of pure O2. It started out as an IIPA, but just kept getting bigger :)

It is only 2 weeks old, but the samples taste great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=75727

+1 on dropping special b, I like the 2 row with the munich, a little vienna never hurt anything either. Why not add a little chrystal malt (15 or 20) and maybe a little cara pils, and instead of adding sugar, why not mash at a lower temp(148-149) for longer (75-90 min.) Then you can have the best of both worlds, nice color, nice mouth feel, but a highly attenuative wort which will finish dry(1.012) for you.

Just my .02

Eastside

Simcoe and Amarillo are the 1-2 punch for dry hopping an IPA, IMO. I'd take the oz. of Magnum your dry hopping with, split it for your 60 and 30 min. additions instead of the Amarillo, then take that oz. of Amarillo and dry hop with it along with the Simcoe.

I love the amarillo/Simcoe dry hop. You may need to add more to the keg depending how fast you drink this one.
I would cut the special B in half and add 1 oz ea of amarillo and simcoe at flameout/whirlpool. Also, why not FWH instead of 60 min addition?

Back