Cheap Kegerator Line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hopefully a pretty simple question, but thought I'd ask to make sure. I am looking at buying beer and gas line, but the stuff at morebeer.com is expensive! If you buy a 100 foot roll of 3/16 beer line, it's like 42 cents a foot. That's quite a bit.

I found some tubing at Lowe's that's much cheaper, and I want to know if there is any problem with just using that.

3/8" OD 1/4" ID Polyurethane Tubing for the gas line (0.14 per foot)
5/16" OD 3/16" ID Clear Vinyl Tubing for the beer line (0.14 per foot)

Thanks!

It won't be thickwalled tubing, which is what you want. Plus you don't need 100 feet, you need like... 10.

Austin Home Brew Supply sells it by the foot.

Beer Line Hose 3/16" (per foot) $0.50

Air Line Hose 1/4" (per foot) $0.35

Seems like Lowe's tubing is not the way to go. Glad I asked. I guess I was hoping to just be able to buy locally, as opposed to paying for shipping. Plus, the kegerator project is coming along, and the, "I want it now" syndrome is really hitting hard.

What's the difference in lines, besides wall thickness? Is the plastic different?

our local home depot carries the reinforced thick wall vinyl tubing that I have seen used with soda dispensing. Although I have not used it as beer line, it works great for gas lines. I am thinking about using it as beer line when I get my new taps in. Since this stuff is usually used for beverage line, shouldn't it be good for beer?

deathweed said:
our local home depot carries the reinforced thick wall vinyl tubing that I have seen used with soda dispensing. Although I have not used it as beer line, it works great for gas lines. I am thinking about using it as beer line when I get my new taps in. Since this stuff is usually used for beverage line, shouldn't it be good for beer?
The inner diameter is too wide. You'll end up with gushing beers that go flat. You need a narrower diamter to give resistance which keep the pour smooth and helps the beer hold carbonation.

BierMuncher said:
The inner diameter is too wide. You'll end up with gushing beers that go flat. You need a narrower diamter to give resistance which keep the pour smooth and helps the beer hold carbonation.

3/16 to wide? I thought this was ideal?

Back