All-stainless-steel hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcoloredrum

Reaction score
Here's the hop spider in action:

I just brewed an IPA this weekend. I do have some concerns with hop utilization, but I think I shaved about 30~40 min out of the total brew time since I didn't have to struggle trying to strain out all of the hop pellets. I'll find out in a few months time whether or not this affected the beer. I might just add some additional hops next time I brew to compensate.

---------------

(From Amazon.com)

(From Home Depot)
  • (3) 5/16" x 7-3/8" SS Eyebolt/Nut combo ($3.68 ea)
  • (3) 5/16" SS Washer ($0.20 ea)
  • (3) 5/16" SS Hex Nut ($0.26 ea)
  • (1) 3"x4" SS Clamp ($1.45)
  • (1) Nylon steeping bag (you should already have this)

(Only if you don't have this drill bit)
  • (1) 5/16" drill bit ($4.17)

Est. Total Cost: $25.63 (w/o tax)

---------------

Using a pen/marker, mark 3 equally spaced "X"s on the flange.
Using a nail & hammer, puncture holes where you marked the X.
Then drill three holes using the 5/16" drill bit, like so:

Attach eyebolts, washers, and nuts onto the flange, like so:

Secure firmly with the eye of the eyebolts perpendicular to the ground (this prevents the hop spider from sliding off of the pot). With the large lip of the flange faced down, secure steeping bag via the clamp (this way, the steeping bag and clamp won't slide out while brewing). And voila! You have your own (relatively) affordable hop spider!

Oh, and drop a small SS nut or washer (or anything that's food + heat safe) into the steeping bag when you boil to help keep the bag submerged.

Thanks for this! I just got the parts last night but couldn't find the 7" eye bolts - only found 5". Going to try another store today.

I like this! Just ordered the flange and will hit up lowes for the rest of the parts. Thanks for the writeup/pics!

Thanks for the post! Here is the spider I made.

hopspider.jpg

Looks great, but I think I would take that one step forward and modify the eye bolts so that they rest on the rim of the kegel or kettle, and I would do that by removing about 1/2 the eye bolt as shown in the image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back