You know you're a brewer if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you see this and your first thought is sweet I could totally use those bottles!!!

Second thought, sweet that is a lot of drinking, maybe I'll do it next year. Then you realize that of course you won't because you will get to a point where you need the bottles.

beer_tree.jpg

You go to sample that new stout from the fermenter and realize that last night you ended up sampling it all with friends and go get your brewing equipment for another brew session...

you feign about brewing a few days before Christmas to test the SWMBO's reaction to help you figure out whether or not there are brewing Christmas presents under the tree... 'No honey, why don't you wait until after Christmas'.. Bingo! (hoping for a refractometer)... Of course she could be playing me and just not want the mess to clean up before the Christmas Eve party... hmmm

When you start checking cold/drafty spots on your ground floor with a thermometer to see if any are suitable for lagering

You find yourself wondering, while stirring SWMBO's tomato soup, what it's gravity would be. And then you realize your hydrometer is in the drawer right beside you so...why not? (it was really high, like 1.4 something, in case you wondered)

When the staff at the local homebrew shop stops asking "Can I help you with anything?" and starts asking how specific brews of yours are coming along

You find yourself wondering, while stirring SWMBO's tomato soup, what it's gravity would be. And then you realize your hydrometer is in the drawer right beside you so...why not? (it was really high, like 1.4 something, in case you wondered)

Hmm, wonder what that would ferment down to. Never heard of anyone making wine with tomatos. Must be a reason.

You wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare about not having your equipment on brew day because SWMBO accidentally threw it out.

You patiently watch your boiling macaroni and cheese waiting for the hot break and are disappointed that it doesn't occur before its time to drain

- The Aquarium section in the Pet store has new meanings to you

- The phrase "A watched pot never boils" has positive connotations

you've left a bar due to poor beer selection

You find some disposable income, and immediately think about what kind of brew gear you can buy with it.

You think about expanding brewery space when considering renovations/house purchases.

When you go to a wedding and they are serving free bud lite and miller lite for beer, and you drink wine or pay for good beer.

When your wife tells you to build a brew room so you can consolidate all your brewwing gear

Dining room---- Glass carboy, bottle tree, misc

Office---- 1 primary of wit, 1 secondary of wit 2 different yeast strains

Fridge---- 8 pints of washed yeast

Garage---- 50 lbs 2 row, boil pot, burner,extra propane, bottling bucket, mash tun,extra cooler for sparge water, books, note pads, bottles recipies,etc,etc,etc...

Bathroom----- brewing books

Basement-----6-8 cases of different homebrews:D

Bull

Home Depot is no longer just a hardware store. It has become the primary source for all your additions to the brew rig.

You leave work early because "you're not feeling well" but its really because LHBS closes at 6.

or your friends art show at the gallery. I got 9 cases of NB bottles

Or you have to tell everyone to please put the bottles on the top shelf of the pantry rather than in the trash b/c you want to reuse them.

Your Facebook status is "I need more empty bottles"

LOL, if you are anywhere near the Raleigh, NC area, I will make you a deal on several cases of bottles. I only bottle in flip-tops now that my kegerator is 100% online and inside the house.

When you go on a brewery tour and you're the guy that gets the funny look for being able to answer the throw-away question like "how many gallons are in a barrel"

Man, I worry about that every time I have those in my car! I hate only having two beers or so and then riding home from someones house with a 12 pack of empties b/c I don't want to waste all of those bottles that I brought for people.

The solution is to put empties in your trunk, or the back of your truck. Don't have them accessible from in the car or cab. Seriously. Put empties in your trunk. No one wants a DUI.

The solution is to put empties in your trunk, or the back of your truck. Don't have them accessible from in the car or cab. Seriously. Put empties in your trunk. No one wants a DUI.

Open Intoxicant laws are not a moving violation equivalent to a DUI. They are an expensive ticket, but your BAC is far more important than a few empties in your cab.

Back