blow off tube not enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi I switched to a blowoff tube a couple batches ago cuz my airlock kept getting plugged... the batch I just brewed I had to move to the laundry sink because the 3/4" blow off tube kept getting plugged and or couldnt keep up with the pressure the lid kept coming off and spewing out the side. I am not sure if I need a new lid, mabye its not holding on tight enough...

any ideas would be great, this isnt even a big beer 1.055 OG

I'm not sure what you mean by lid. I stick my blowoff tube all the way down to the top of the wort, and the other end into a bucket of starsan. Its a tight fight in the mouth of the carboy. There is no way it could ever come out from just beer pressure.

Since you said lid, I'm assuming you are using a bucket. What size are you using? It would take some serious amount of pressure to take some of these lids off..... It would (or should) take the exit of the bung hole before snapping the lid off... perhaps David can post his picture again to give you an idea of what it looks like :)

2113-small_0464.jpg

lol thats awsome, 30 ltr primary pail with lid... the lid was pushed way up like a big bubble. things have slowed down now and the blow off is burping along like normal

Back