Any ideas for St Patricks Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
So far all I've got Stew made with stout, Soda bread, and Mashed potatoes. Does anyone have any other Irish or even English ideas that would be good for a party? I don't want to do anything that you'd have to sit down to eat. The stew is heavier but it will be served in little party mugs. My grandmother is 2nd generation Irish-American so I have to live up!
:mug:

Corned beef and cabbage!!

Great by itself or serve on a sandwich. I don't think it is an Irish dish, but more Irish-American.

Beerrific said:
Corned beef and cabbage!!

Great by itself or serve on a sandwich. I don't think it is an Irish dish, but more Irish-American.
Yes, it's Irish-American. I believe the cabbige is Irish, but I read the corned beef became an Irish-American thing on the upper east coast because it's very simular to Irish bacon.

How about Hinekin (SP) in those skunky GREEN bottles. ;)

That stout stew is awesome. I'm gonna have to make that. I like to have a good Irish/Scottish breakfast before I get to drinking heavily. A little bangers and mash is perfect for a day of heavy drinking :)

I'd do corned beef and cabbage, but I already have the beef stew. I'm looking for stuff that you don't necessarily have to sit down to eat...

How bout some good Soda Bread? Man I can't get enough of that stuff when I'm in Ireland.

sodabread.jpg

ScubaSteve said:
That stout stew is awesome. I'm gonna have to make that. I like to have a good Irish/Scottish breakfast before I get to drinking heavily. A little bangers and mash is perfect for a day of heavy drinking :)
I think their sausages taste too much like meal (grain) and not enough meat in them...yech!!! :mad:

You could add cabbage to the mashed potatoes to make them Colcannon or green onions to make them Champ and either Boxty or oatcakes would be good finger food. We always go out to a local pub for breakfast on St. Paddy's day, they serve a traditional Irish breakfast. Can't wait, bangers, rashers, black and white pudding making me hungry now. I always make a Coddle for dinner that day, a recipe of my grandmothers but the stout stew sure sounds good too.

Bigfoot said:
You could add cabbage to the mashed potatoes to make them Colcannon or green onions to make them Champ and either Boxty or oatcakes would be good finger food. We always go out to a local pub for breakfast on St. Paddy's day, they serve a traditional Irish breakfast. Can't wait, bangers, rashers, black and white pudding making me hungry now. I always make a Coddle for dinner that day, a recipe of my grandmothers but the stout stew sure sounds good too.

Good ideas, thanks...

I'm sorry. I was raised around so many Irish folks that I grew to despise them. My favorite saying used to be,.. "Bring back the potato famine!"

Nevermind me though. I'm just a drunk polack!

Cheers! :drunk:

Sir Humpsalot said:
I'm sorry. I was raised around so many Irish folks that I grew to despise them. My favorite saying used to be,.. "Bring back the potato famine!"

Nevermind me though. I'm just a drunk polack!

Cheers! :drunk:

You need to post more SWMBO non-molecular pics for that one :D

How bout some green food coloring mixed with the priming sugar/water for your next batch of bottles? I might try this and have a batch ready for a st pattys party. Maybe some blue and green drops to change the color of the yellowish wort.

How about shepherd's pie? Always good, though with the stout stew maybe too much? Could always go for the sheep's bladder stuffed with sweet meats and blood... Very authentic, but I don't think you'd really enjoy it.

I have a book called "The Festive Food of Ireland" by Darina Allen (an Irish chef). I got it in Ireland back in the 90s. It has all of the Irish holidays and their associated foods. For St. Patrick's Day it has Corned Beef & Cabbage and Porter Cake. It states the CB&C was originally an Easter Sunday dinner because the beef killed before winter would have been salted and eaten after Lent with cabbage and potatoes. But it's now associated more with St. Patty's Day. The Porter cake is supposed to be delicious. It's made with Guinness and it's supposed to be so good it's exported in tins to Irish emigrants in the US. You could also try fadge (potatoe bread, but it's not like you'd think of a bread since it's made on a griddle), but that's more of a breakfast thing.

What are your favourite recipes for beef stew with stout? Would the same recipe with lamb (or mutton?) be an appropriate variation?

I have an Irish cook book, and one of my favorite recipes is somewhat of a stew, but not like I would normally think of as a stew.

I forget the exact portions, but you grab a pot, and layer the bottom with onions. After the onions, put on a layer of potatoes, then a layer of meat (calls for lamb which is my favorite, but I've also done beef and buffalo with great results).

Throw in some salt and pepper (I like kosher salt, especially on the meat!) and some rosemary and thyme. Keep layering until you end with a layer of Potatoes. Put in a few cups of water, put on the lid (wrap it on tin foil if you don't get a good seal) and simmer it for about 2 hours.

There's a lot more flavor than one would expect.

I can grab the book and give the recipe as stated in there if anyone wishes. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, and it goes down great.

Sorry if this is too close to a stew. I can give you the information on the book if you wish also. It has breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desert recipes.

Give me some more clues as to what you’re looking for (type of meat or fish or veggie) and I can look some stuff up for you. There’s an awesome seafood pie in there also!

Chuck

Bump for 2010!

Post some of your great Irish recipes or ideas for this upcoming Saint Patrick's day (I mean for you other lucky guys/gals who have children and don't leave your house to visit the pub for some pub made corn beef and cabbage).

Yes, it's Irish-American. I believe the cabbige is Irish, but I read the corned beef became an Irish-American thing on the upper east coast because it's very simular to Irish bacon.

How about Hinekin (SP) in those skunky GREEN bottles. ;)

Ehhh Nope, corned beef, cabbage and spuds is a very traditional Irish meal.

Back