Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've not used Nelson Sauvin hops before, so ordered six ounces to try. These were grown in New Zealand using organic farming techniques. According to the internet, Nelson Sauvin hops are:

12% Ave. AAU. This new and unique variety was bred in New Zealand and released in 2000. Named for its aroma which is remarkably similar to the fresh crushed gooseberry aroma of a Sauvignon Blanc grape. Nelson Sauvin has the unique ability to impart a distinctive cool climate white wine “fruitiness”. Offers both a refreshing green grapes flavor, hints of pineapple, with a touch of earthiness to balance the flavor profile. This dual-purpose variety can be used to produce big punchy Ales as well as subtle yet bitter Lagers. The fruitiness may be a little overpowering for the un-initiated, however those with a penchant for bold hop character will find several applications for this true brewer's hop. A must try incredibly unique hop, and there is really no recommended substitute although it shares characteristics with Cascade, Centennial, or Chinook.

I brewed an APA featuring these hops. I first wort hopped with some Chinook, but the remainder of the hops have been the Nelson Sauvin, at 10, 5 and 1 minutes. After fermenting for ten days or so, most of the time at 60F and towards the end of that time at 64F, today I racked to a new carboy and added more Nelson Sauvin to dry hop. I'll probably bottle on Thursday night.

Here's the recipe:

7.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 59.18 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 24.49 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %

0.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.8 IBU
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (10 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (5 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 154F, single infusion, batch sparge

Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
ABV: 5.74 %
Bitterness: 38.3 IBU
Calories: 249 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.2 SRM

When I tasted the hydrometer sample, it did have a very pleasant and unusual aroma, not citrusy, but fruity. I'll try to remember to report back when the beer is ready to drink.

I love Nelson Sauvin! I've yet to use it as a boil hop, but one of my next few brews will be a variation of my Kiwi Red Ale. The original KRA had all Motueka for boil hops (except a little Apollo for bittering) and all Nelson for dry hop. Next time will be Motueka/Nelson blend for boil and same for the dry hops. Not sure, but I am betting that it will be even better than the original.

I think you'll be happy with the heavy crystal and wheat additions. Nelson is an assertive hop and you hopped aggressively with it. Should be a palette wrecker of a beer!

I love Nelson Sauvin! I've yet to use it as a boil hop, but one of my next few brews will be a variation of my Kiwi Red Ale. The original KRA had all Motueka for boil hops (except a little Apollo for bittering) and all Nelson for dry hop. Next time will be Motueka/Nelson blend for boil and same for the dry hops. Not sure, but I am betting that it will be even better than the original.

I read that Motueka is a Saaz hybrid, sounds interesting, maybe I should try it in a lager.

I bet 3oz Nelson dry hop is gonna steal your face. I dry hopped a saison with 1 oz and it's pretty resinous.

Could be. I was going to dry hop until Thursday (five days) but could bottle earlier than that. Hmmmm . . . . .

Good excuse to tasted it daily. The saison yeast and brett quite possibly amplify the Nelson in a way your ale yeast won't. I'm pretty hooked on Nelson right now. Brewed another saison yesterday with Belma for bittering and Nelson at knockout.

Motueka is supposed to be great. Galaxy is another one to look for, but it's the hot hop for commercial brewers right now.

I just ordered a lb from Farmhouse and like you have never used Nelson. Might give this a try.

I'm curious how the 3 oz of Nelson dry-hopping worked out. I've got a Nelson/Cascade pale ale going right now that I'm going to dry-hop today. I have 2oz of Nelson and 1oz of Cascade; trying to determine what to use. My initial thought was just to do 2oz of Nelson to highlight that hop more.

Was the 3oz overpowering or delicious?

I'm curious how the 3 oz of Nelson dry-hopping worked out. I've got a Nelson/Cascade pale ale going right now that I'm going to dry-hop today. I have 2oz of Nelson and 1oz of Cascade; trying to determine what to use. My initial thought was just to do 2oz of Nelson to highlight that hop more.

Was the 3oz overpowering or delicious?

I thought it was delicious ;) It was definitely hop forward, though. This beer took first place in the American Ale category at a competition last January, the Chicago Winterbrew competition.

Back