Double IPA Kern River Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is probably a top 2 or 3 IPA recipe that I've done. Haven't had the real thing, but this is awesome.

Brewed this a few days ago and on 3rd day of fermentation, it exploded. Anyone else experience violent fermentation with this recipe? Temp is 71 degrees and in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy so plenty of head space.

Brewed this a few days ago and on 3rd day of fermentation, it exploded. Anyone else experience violent fermentation with this recipe? Temp is 71 degrees and in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy so plenty of head space.

At 71 degrees with any good Cali yeast strain I'd expect MOAB type results (those buggers are STRONG). Since most of the flavors are hops based on this one, I'd shoot for 66 - 68 if you can.

Quick question for all that have brewed this... I really noticed an improvement to my ipas when I started adding whirlpool hops and am worried about the lack of any in this recipe. Thinking I should just go with the recipe as is since it has such great reviews.

Anyone brew this and wish they added a whirlpool addition or does the citra dry hop potency give you what you need on its own?

Cheers! Thanks

Quick question for all that have brewed this... I really noticed an improvement to my ipas when I started adding whirlpool hops and am worried about the lack of any in this recipe. Thinking I should just go with the recipe as is since it has such great reviews.

Anyone brew this and wish they added a whirlpool addition or does the citra dry hop potency give you what you need on its own?
For what it's worth, I'm brewing this today and am moving the 30 min addition to 0, with a 20 min whirlpool.

If you listen to the 'Can you Brew it' episode with Tasty McDole who cloned the beer, that's exactly what he did and they claimed the beer 'cloned'. Listen to it here:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1668/

Kal

For what it's worth, I'm brewing this today and am moving the 30 min addition to 0, with a 20 min whirlpool.

If you listen to the 'Can you Brew it' episode with Tasty McDole who cloned the beer, that's exactly what he did and they claimed the beer 'cloned'. Listen to it here:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1668/

Kal

I followed the recipe exactly and it was an absolute Citra bomb in both flavor and aroma...super juicy. Let us know how your variation turns out.

After recently falling in love with Vermont style IPAs like Tree House, Trillium, and Tired Hands do so well I'm going to ferment this with Wyeast 1318 London Ale III and not filter in any way. I think this is the perfect recipe for that style IPA.

I followed the recipe exactly and it was an absolute Citra bomb in both flavor and aroma...super juicy. Let us know how your variation turns out.
It turned out GREAT!

It's been on tap now for ~2 weeks all carb'ed up and tastes phenomenal.

I did a write-up and background of the beer (and Kern River Brewing Company) along with some pics and videos here: http://goo.gl/eUK3ap

Kal

After recently falling in love with Vermont style IPAs like Tree House, Trillium, and Tired Hands do so well I'm going to ferment this with Wyeast 1318 London Ale III and not filter in any way. I think this is the perfect recipe for that style IPA.

So how did 1318 perform on this recipe?

Brewed this a week ago tonight, OG was 1.074, just took a reading and was 1.014 but was still bubbling every 5-10 seconds. Weird thing was the krausen never dropped...going to start DH in a day or so...

A few posts in this string state that they came in well under the target 1.070 OG with the OP. That makes sense, because even if you could hit 75% efficiency, Brewsmith predicts 1.066 OG with that grain bill and 6.74 gal boil size. I typically get around 73-75% efficiency, but I like to start with at least a 6.84 gal boil to get a healthy 5+ gal batch. So if I use this pre-boil volume and keep the grain bill percentages about the same, this is what I'm going to use to get a Beersmith predicted 1.070 OG for 75% efficiency:

2-row 11 lb 4 oz
Cara-Pils, Caramel/Crystal 10L, Munich Malt: 10 oz each
White Wheat Malt, Honey Malt: 4.8 oz each

According to Beersmith, this doesn't change the IBU very much.

I'll try this next month and report results. BTW, as was asked previously, I have no idea why there is a 20 minute whirlpool without a flameout addition of hops. I'm going to skip that.

I was tempted to use WLP090 instead of WLP001 to try and get better attenuation and hit the 1.010 FG target, but Brulosophy did an experiment that indicated that these really give the same FG. So I'll stick with WLP001. http://brulosophy.com/2014/10/06/is-san-diego-really-all-that-super-a-yeast-comparison/

A fellow brewer and I did a clone and took Silver in a sanctioned competition today in VA. IPA's entered (10) were combined and we came in close to the top. Sweet!!

Are you guys all transferring to secondary like the recipe on page 1 suggests? I haven't done that yet in any of my beers, seems like a pain.

Are you guys all transferring to secondary like the recipe on page 1 suggests? I haven't done that yet in any of my beers, seems like a pain.
I do, at least for this beer, as there are multiple dry hop additions. Once fermentation is done I rack to a purged brite tank and then start the dry hop additions.

Kal

Back