pasteurizing my graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a first attempt at a graff a couple of months ago and just had my first taste. It's not bad at all but not quite what I expected. I've got some people coming over tonight that I figured one enjoy it a bit sweeter. I had some cherry puree laying around so I figured what the hell. I racked the graff back into my boil pot and added the puree. I brought it up to 150 and it held it there to kill off the yeast. I've got it cooling now and will keg it shortly. I'm just wondering if my method is sound. I've never done anything quite this stupid. I figured 150 would kill off the yeast but not boil off the alcohol. Typically, when I want a fruit cider with some residual sweetness left I just add the fruit near the end of fermentation and then cold crash it when it hits around 1.010. Didn't have time for that tonight so I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm wondering if anyone can point out anything I may have missed in my foolish technique here?

nope its a good technique. 140º is what I bulk pasteurize at but 150º shouldn't heart anything.

Back