Malting Buckwheat, Millet, Amaranth and Quinoa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
Just got done soaking the following:

1.06 lb Hulled Millet (Wegmans)

.56 lb Amaranth (Wegmans)

.65 lb White Quinoa (Wegmans)

.46 lb Black Quinoa (Wegmans)

.7 lb Millet (Whole Foods)

.35 lb White Quinoa (Whole Foods)

.4 lb Buckwheat (Whole Foods)

.39 lb Amaranth (Whole Foods)

Will report back my results after about a day or so. Preparing ingredients for an AG GF batch I will be making soon and testing how malting will go on a small scale. Only thing I am seriously worried about not malting at all is the black quinoa as I'm guessing it has already been roasted but figured what the hell.

I think you must be hiding in my kitchen. I did these same four grains (white quinoa and hulled millet) and recently and will be (trying to, anyhow) brewing with them this week. It's my first all-grain brew as well as my first gluten-free brew. Eek!

I had success with everything but the millet--it simply didn't sprout. Not sure if I'm even going to bother with it in the brew or not.

I hope that's not the case with the millet as it is the cheapest grain I have available! We'll see how it goes.

All of the quinoa is already done! The buckwheat has started and still waiting on the amaranth and the millet. More updates to follow.

All of the quinoa is already done! The buckwheat has started and still waiting on the amaranth and the millet. More updates to follow.

Amaranth always lagged a couple days behind quinoa, in my experience. I've never gotten millet to malt, but I've only tried with hulled millet.

I've given up on the millet which is frustrating because it is the cheapest grain I have available. Buckwheat and amaranth are both coming around and sprouting.

I just started to soak millet and quinoa also. Going to do buckwheat tonight. How long do you guys let them soak for?

I do a 2 hour soak, rinse and then another 6 hour.
Than an two hour rest
Another 8 hour soak
Then another 2 hour rest

If I see the grains starting to sprout, I'll stop, but I've also done another 8 hour soak.

I do a 2 hour soak, rinse and then another 6 hour.
Than an two hour rest
Another 8 hour soak
Then another 2 hour rest

If I see the grains starting to sprout, I'll stop, but I've also done another 8 hour soak.

so you have to give it some air time? I have been soaking them, and jut rinsing them, and soaking them again... Will toss this batch then if I dont see anything new in a day or so.

I know this is an old post but what the hell...
Millet - Have to use unhulled millet. German or Red. Soak 8-14, rinse2 -3 times a day thereafter in a sprouter, about 3 days total time to fully modified. I've heard you can sprout this in a refrigerator.
Buckwheat - Can use groats or whole grain. same as above only you can soak it for less time and it sprouts faster. about 2.5 days to fully modified.
Sorghum/milo - Whole grain. Same as above.

I have sprouted rice, not sure if there is any value to this for the sake of brewing, but rice likes higher temps, so it take a lot longer at room temp, 4-5 days.

I created sprouters from ziplock reusable tupperware tubs, drilled holes in the side up high for air and poked small holes in the bottom for rinsing/drainage.

I dried in a dehydrator at around 100F for 8-12 hours.

Any idea of the diastatic power of each?
I have heard that Millet is good, Sorghum is best, Buckwheat is fair. Don't know about amaranth, teff or rice.

Not to bring up a old thread but any good recipes using quinoa was cooking with it tonight and thought hey why not brew with it maybe lol

Back