Sudden Flavor Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Weird...

All of a sudden my IPA has lost its juicy hop aroma and flavor, and at the same time my Smoked Rye has lost its too-much smokiness. Good for the smoke, but not for the IPA...

It sort of makes sense for the smoke, it's getting to that age where beers begin to settle down. But the IPA is young and should have a few good weeks left in it. Hmm... maybe time to try some keg hopping. I still have two or three gallons in that keg.

Ks,

I had a similar problem last night. I cracked open one of my bitter ales and it seems like a lot of the maltiness has disappeared and now the alcohol taste seems stronger.

I'm not sure if my new brews are getting better and I never noticed it before or what.

I hope you find a solution to your prob!

I'm going to try more dry hops for this next IPA. Should make it last longer. It could actually be from one of two things:
1. Cold crash. I turned on the cold crash after just a few days of dry hopping. Maybe cold temperatures slow the effects of dry hopping?
2. Gelatin. First time using it was on this batch of IPA. Maybe some of the dry hop goodness got sucked down to the bottom of my fermenter with the gelatin?

Oh well, it's still a fine IPA.

:mug:

Back