Wheat beer yeast options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
Since spring is right around the corner, I plan on brewing an american wheat within the next week or so. I was thinking about using Nottingham. I couldn't get ahold of the american wheat Wyeast 1010 I have used before. Has anyone here done this before? My other option is to wait another few weeks and use my kolsch yeast cake.

I used US-05 to ferment a very simple recipe of two cans of wheat LME as a base for my peach wheat and it has been extremely popular. Simplest recipe I ever did, and the only one without grains. 1oz hallertau for 60, 1 can of puree in the secondary, 1 bottle of peach extract in the keg.

I know you aren't talking about a fruit beer, the point is that the US-05 made for a nice clean wheat beer base.

By the way, the kolsch yeast is WLP029. I might even split this batch into my two 3 gallon cornies I have and add some kind of fruit or extract to one of them. I just really want to test out these little kegs.

I just used Wyeast 2565 Koelsch yeast and it turned out great. If you have ever had Spotted Cow from New Glaurus brewery, that is the yeast they use for that beer.

I gives a lightly fruity note the the wheat that is very pleasant.

I used that yeast for my oktoberfest which is still in the primary, so I haven't tasted the beer yet, but I actually drank the starter. It was delicious. I liked it so much that I'm making a citrus kolsch with it next. I'm sure it would make a great wheat beer, but I'm not sure I'd call it an american wheat.

Back