Wyeast 3522 no signs in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimlin

Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew a Saison today using the Wyeast 3522. Made a starter last night. Dozed off on the couch and didn't pitch until 2 am (5.5 hrs ago). Came down this morning and not seeing any sign of activity. The smack pack never expanded last night prior to pitching either. Had more than enough time (4-5 hrs) to warm to room temp prior to pitching into the starter flask. My LHBS (where I got the yeast yesterday) is closed today of course. Having never brewed with Belgian yeast before, I don't know if the 3522 is just very slow to start, or if I have a bad pack. Was dated March 2012, so not too fresh, but certainly recent enough I should have some live yeast to build from.

I'm hoping to brew a Saison today using the Wyeast 3522. Made a starter last night. Dozed off on the couch and didn't pitch until 2 am (5.5 hrs ago). Came down this morning and not seeing any sign of activity. The smack pack never expanded last night prior to pitching either. Had more than enough time (4-5 hrs) to warm to room temp prior to pitching into the starter flask. My LHBS (where I got the yeast yesterday) is closed today of course. Having never brewed with Belgian yeast before, I don't know if the 3522 is just very slow to start, or if I have a bad pack. Was dated March 2012, so not too fresh, but certainly recent enough I should have some live yeast to build from.

The inner pouch with the yeast nutrients never opened. I looked in the smack pack this morning and found the little pouch still intact. More sanitizer to soak the pouch and some scissors, cut that and poured into the starter flask. FIngers crossed, going to brew. Worst case I'll be driving 30 minutes or so to another HBS in Portsmouth to get some belgian yeast later

I find this yeast to be a quick fermenting strain, and have had very good success with it. I pitched two Activator packs into 3 liters on my stir plate last weekend. I was surprised that it seemed to completely finish in less than 12 hours. That starter took 11 gallons of 1.080 wort to 1.010 in three days. I have another starter going on the stir plate now, but it is not finishing as fast as the last starter..

Back