crack in my MLT is my beer safe to drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlineyes

Reaction score
I just finished my second 10 gal all grain batch and while cleaning my MLT i saw a small crack in the cooler lining. I am sure it is leaking into the cooler body. I am going to try patching it. But I am worried that my beer is not safe to drink. Don't know if the insulation is food grade. I had to drain it real well to get to my boil volume. I would hate to serve my friends toxic beer, but don't want to dump it out eater. The Cooler is a 10 gal Rubbermaid round drinking water cooler from home depot.

has anybody got any thoughts

Thanks in advance

Unless you actually got the insulation material into the primary I'd doubt there will be a problem. If there is, you'll know before it comes time to bottle or keg.

I'm not sure what kind of cooler it is, but you might seek a replacement. Patching might be a bit iffy.

it was a small crack at the bottom under the bulkhead, on large particles could get threw it. How will I know if it got in the primary. I feel better after your post.

Thanks for the reply

Back