The Pope is here!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell my why the Pope is always so old? Pope Benedict was just named Pope within the last couple of years if I recall correctly and he's like 81.

I'm not a religious guy, so I'm genuinely asking out of curiosity.

ohiobrewtus said:
Can anyone tell my why the Pope is always so old? Pope Benedict was just named Pope within the last couple of years if I recall correctly and he's like 81.

He's almost dead, so he's closest to God?

Just booked that window seat on the way to hell...

PopeWithBeer.jpg

pope_and_beer.jpg

pope_beer.jpg

pope_with_beer_2.jpg

ohiobrewtus said:

Not an exact answer, but i'm sure it has a lot to do with the need to hold a very high position (cardinal) in the church just to even have a chance to be named pope. to get that high in the church a priest has certain obligations (missions, work abroad, etc.), then needs to be apointed bishop and eventually archbishop. the majority of the college of cardinals are made up of archbishops of very large dioceses...

i don't think you actually have to be a cardinal to become Pope (any unmarried catholic male has a chance), but it has been hundreds of years since a pope was named that was not in the college of cardinals.

Professor Frink said:
s-BUSH-AND-BENEDICT-large.jpg

WTF?......

Seriously.......as a first world country we would let this happen. I mean the catholic church hasnt exactly followed there own advise over the years but your kidding me. Southern Flag in the background...lets see how much more damn redneck we can get!!
Ignorance is well...American

P.s. Dont chastise me for this post...having that flag out is just ignorant, States rights my ass.

Arneba28 said:
Seriously.......as a first world country we would let this happen. I mean the catholic church hasnt exactly followed there own advise over the years but your kidding me. Southern Flag in the background...lets see how much more damn redneck we can get!!

P.s. Dont chastise me for this post...having that flag out is just ignorant, States rights my ass.

I believe they put it out there to help Benedict feel "at home", considering that the pre-civil-war South and the Catholic Church are so similar when it comes to ignorance and intolerance.

Arneba28 said:

its not a confederate flag, it Mississippi's state flag. clearly you have never been down south...

Air Pirate said:
its not a confederate flag, it Mississippi's state flag. clearly you have never been down south...

This is true, it's the Mississippi state flag, but it's still got the stars and bars on it. Having it there is a pretty poor decision in my opinion. But then again so is electing the doofus standing next to the pope.

I think they elect an old pope because the post is for life. If he sucks at being the right hand of god or whtever, at least he will die soon.

Ahhhh! Religeon. The greatest invention ever to keep the masses in line.

"Life suck? Keep your head down and turn the other cheek! There are riches and happiness after you die!!!What? Yeah! After you die. No, not now. The more you let people step on you, the more riches when you die! Yeah! That's the ticket! So shut up and get back in line! (Why didn't we invent this before??)"

Sea said:
I love how God's "conduit to humanity" bounces around town behind an inch of bulletproof glass. Now that's faith in action!

Oh, hell... I wish I had an inch of bulletproof Lexan every time I drive south or east of Adams Morgan!

jpsloan said:
Oh, hell... I wish I had an inch of bulletproof Lexan every time I drive south or east of Adams Morgan!

yeah, but he's the pope. Wouldn't you think that if there actually is a god and he actually is omnipotent and all-powerful, as they claim he is, then why would he let someone off his "conduit on earth"? Something doesn't add up. Either god isn't omnipotent, or he is but is just a real evil bastard who likes to try to kill the pope.

Evan! said:
yeah, but he's the pope. Wouldn't you think that if there actually is a god and he actually is omnipotent and all-powerful, as they claim he is, then why would he let someone off his "conduit on earth"? Something doesn't add up. Either god isn't omnipotent, or he is but is just a real evil bastard who likes to try to kill the pope.

Considering what God's track record: Stephen, Peter, St. Sebastian, Jesus... I'm thinking the Pope is fully justified in a little precaution! :)

Evan! said:
I believe they put it out there to help Benedict feel "at home", considering that the pre-civil-war South and the Catholic Church are so similar when it comes to ignorance and intolerance.

oh...that was good

Professor Frink said:
This is true, it's the Mississippi state flag, but it's still got the stars and bars on it. Having it there is a pretty poor decision in my opinion. But then again so is electing the doofus standing next to the pope.

I know its a state flag and all but still...but what does the church care. They just kind of ignored slavery, holocaust, other mass genocides. So I guess having a state flag there that is synonomous(sp?) with intollerance and sescession isnt to bad considering.

This is all I'm going to say about it.....

A lot of people who work in DC are working from home to avoid all of the non-city driving people. Let me tell you that a regular 25 minute across town drive should not take 90 mins, unless you have ****ing moron drivers and pedestrians who have never been in a city before. I've spent 9 hours driving in DC this week alone, and I'm ****ing pissed about it.

/rant

ohiobrewtus said:
Can anyone tell my why the Pope is always so old?

My guess: there is a certain amount of senility required for a grown man to have an imaginary friend....

I would toast to the pope, but I just poured out my last beer for all my dead homies :D

I read once in a book of popes that while the Vatican is a member of the United Nations it can never be a voting member because the position of Pope is that of a dictator and the Vatican a dictatorship because there is no freedom of religion...there can never be any religion practiced there other than Roman Catholic. FWIW. :D

Evan! said:

Man you're just full of religious innuendos this week, aren't you? :ban:

Although I fear it may be short lived, I must say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread and most of the opinions being shared in it! :D

If it turns out we're all wrong and there IS a God, it's good to know that I'll have plenty of homebrewers to keep me company in hell. Looks like we'll all be brewing ales, I'm sure it's too warm to lager there.

BlindLemonLars said:
If it turns our we're all wrong and there IS a God, it's good to know that I'll have plenty of homebrewers to keep me company in hell. Looks like we'll all be brewing ales, I'm sure it's too warm to lager there.

More good news - we shouldn't have to worry about refilling propane tanks!

Professor Frink said:
s-BUSH-AND-BENEDICT-large.jpg

WTF?......
Battle flag of the republic. NOT the "flag of the south" as some uninformed might think. Has nothing to do with the philosophy of the south. Nor the philosophy of the former confederacy.

Sean said:
Battle flag of the republic. NOT the "flag of the south" as some uninformed might think. Has nothing to do with the philosophy of the south. Nor the philosophy of the former confederacy.

Calm down, it was a joke. I live an hour from the Capitol of the Confederacy, I know what it's about. Most people don't, I'll give you that. I always go back to the question that the immigration proctor asked Apu on the Simpsons:
Proctor: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--
Proctor: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
Apu: Slavery it is, sir.

That about sums up what the average 'Merkan knows about the Confederacy.

Back