Natural carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdIn

Reaction score
Is there any particular reason to do natural carbonation at a room temperature? If I do lager which is OK to ferment at 40-50F then why after priming and bottling it's advised to store bottles at room temperature? Is it simply to make if faster? But it's usually required to condition lager for at least a month or even more. So, why hurry? Am I missing something?

Too simple...Your brew has to warm up to room temp for the yeast to become active again. Once it does it converts the sugar to alcohol (on a small scale). The resulting CO2 (which normally exits through an airlock) is captured in the bottle (by the cap) and absorbed back into the beer which produces the carbonation (bubbles).

Once your bottles have achieved a carbonation level you desire it is time to refridgerate the bottles to make the yeast dormant and to age (or lager).:D

AdIn said:
Is there any particular reason to do natural carbonation at a room temperature? If I do lager which is OK to ferment at 40-50F then why after priming and bottling it's advised to store bottles at room temperature? Is it simply to make if faster? But it's usually required to condition lager for at least a month or even more. So, why hurry? Am I missing something?

That is actually a good question that I have asked myself. I guess it should be OK to keep the bottles at 50F in order to carbonate them. The yeast may produce less off-flavors at that temperature anyway. It might just be a matter of time as HB99 pointed out.

The yeast that I use a lot for my lagers (Bavarian Lager) can actually produce a rotten egg smell at room temperature. I found that out when I made the starters. This is something I don't want to happen in my brew, especially since the smell can't escape the bottle. So I will be keeping my bottles at 50F-60F for carbonation. But I'm also raising a little amount of fresh yeast that I will be pitching since the beer has been in the secondary for a while now.

Kai

Yes, lager yeast frements at lower temps than ales.

However, lager fermentation should START at about the same temps as ales. I usually allow the fermentation to take place for about 24 hours before putting the lagers in a colder room/area. If possible the temp should be reduced several degrees several times until you get it down to the recommended lagering temp.

Now, I don't do this. I get it started for 24 hours like I said, but then I just put it in the cold garage and leave it. I figure the brews temp is lowering slow enough and will stabilize eventually.

Right now my 3 lagers have been down as low as 41F and as high as 44F. They all taste great and are clearing well. Who am I to complain?:D

Back