How long will ingrediants last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daw

Reaction score
I have not brewed for a long time - too long to figure out - but have some remaining hops, grain and malt (both dry and wet). These are all sealed and have never been opened. Before I try to use these ingredients, how long can I expect these supplies to be useable?

the hops are probably useless and the malts are good for nothing other than a stout. lme(liquid malt extract) undergoes a chemical reaction over time that caramalizes the contents and darkens the product substantally(?). dme(dried malt extract) tends to absorb moisture from the and brick up into an incredibly dense block of hard candylike sugar.

your better off buying new ingredients

On the other hand, you already have the stuff and a packet of dried Nottinham yeast is less than $2.00. Brew it up and see. Let us know how it progresses, sounds interesting.

Since I have two hands...on the other other hand, I once brewed a batch using two cans of Alexanders Amber extract that I found on a back shelf in my basement. Had to be 5 years old. Brewed it up and, to quote Cleveland from Family Guy....

That's (was) just Naaaasssstttty.

The hops & grain are tossers, if "too long" is measured in years. The DME is probably usable if it hasn't rocked up. If the LME says Pale and looks like tar, toss it too. If the color is still relatively light, I'd give it a shot.

Made a stout from two cans of eight year old pale extract. New grain, hops & yeast. Not bad.

Back