Belgian Dubbel Dubbel D's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokieguy95

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WY530
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
37 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days
Tasting Notes
slightly dry with dark fruit and spice
6 lbs Muntons extra light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
1 lbs Dingemans Caramunich 45
1 lbs Special B Dingemans
1oz German Tettnang hops 60m
1 oz German Hallertau 15 m
Belgian Candi Syrup D180 add at flameout
Abbey Ale Liquid Yeast WY530

Steeped the grains for 30 minutes at 155 degrees. Brought to a boil and added all DME. Add 1oz Tettnang at start of boil and 1oz Hallertau at 15m before flameout. Add candy syrup at flameout.

Ferment 10 days at 68 – 75
Secondary 1 week 68
Bottle condition for 3 weeks

Notes and lessons learned:
- Make a starter!!!. I pitched the yeast too cool (about 65 degrees) and it took over 72 hrs to get moving. I sweated over this for several days and then had to go out of town. Luckily a warm spell hit while gone and the wife called and told me it was bubbling away. No worries, cause it turned out fine. Next time I will leave it for probably 2 weeks in primary.

- after the slow start, this beer fermented around 74-76 for most of the week.

- It came out really dark. Much darker than most Dubbel's. Some friends have told me it looks like a porter. Might try less specialty grains next time. But has really nice scent of dark fruits and light spice coming off.

- I plan to try to tweak this beer over the next year or so. I would like this beer to be a bit more dry next go around, so I'm trying to figure out my strategy. When it warms up a bit, you can get a good bit of the alcohol, and I'd like to balance that a bit.

A guy in my area who has 25 years homebrewing Belgian beers and is now running his own Craft brewerey gave me this recipe and coached me. I had a few hiccups with the fermentation, but after I worry warted for 3 days because I thought I had ruined it, it turned out great!

I am very satisfied with my first Belgian. Thanks to Doug John in Forest Va. :mug:

IBU's is incorrect. That's ABV. oops.

2013-10-14_17-32-13_638_zpse5e76dca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I made this again over Christmas and have had samples this week. The LHBS did not have the Candy syrup so I experimented with the Candy rocks. It made the color lighter and a little less fruity in the nose, but the taste is still strong caramel. My wife loves this style and I did an experiment by blind tasting mine against the Ommegang Abbey Ale. The color was almost spot on with the candy rocks. The best part is that the wife preferred mine. :mug: Maybe it's cause it's fresher, but it's a really good beer.

Latest posts

Back