To oat or not to oat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
I'm getting set up to brew NB's pale mild kit. I have some old fashioned rolled oats and was debating maybe adding .25-.5# in the mash. Any suggestions? Pros? Cons? Quick answers please. Thanks guys.

I don't know the pale mild kit - English style pale ale? Sure, add the oats, why not?!?! If its more like an English Mild, I wouldn't, though.

They'll add some mouthfeel silkiness and thickness, but may also make it harder to clear the beer, too.

Experimenting is fun!

Pappers_ said:
I don't know the pale mild kit - English style pale ale? Sure, add the oats, why not?!?! If its more like an English Mild, I wouldn't, though.

They'll add some mouthfeel silkiness and thickness, but may also make it harder to clear the beer, too.

Experimenting is fun!

Yeah it's like a mild just lighter colored. Pretty tasty. This is my second time brewing it. Thanks for the input.

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I'm going to go ahead and avoid them. Part of what is enjoyable about this beer is how light bodied it is and yet the Maris otter provides interesting flavors

Back