Dry hoping/filtering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
Going to brew another mini batch, 2.5 gallon. I want to attempt an IPA this time and I was wondering first off; Dry hopping the secondary usually yields better results? And two, I read a post about tying a muslum or nylon bag around my racking cane to filter the beer when racking to the bottling bucket, so that no hops pull through. My concern is will this also filter out the yeast, requiring me to pitch more yeast for bottling? Or will perhaps enough yeast get through to activate carbonation? I do not force carb yet, too poor :(. As usual all opinions welcomed.

Thanks everyone.

-Justin

Secondary is typically used because you want to dry hop after primary fermentation is complete. If you don't use a secondary, you can dry hop in your primary after the primary ferment has subsided.

No worries on the yeast and the racking cane hop filter.

I know Biermuncher has a picture in his gallery of the muslin bag over the racking cane set up. I've tried that, but I've had problems with the bag clogging the siphon. I just siphon the beer out after the hops have dropped. I have had a few leaves get stuck in my bottling wand, but that's about it. That hasn't happened when I've used pellet hops, though.

You could put the hops in a hops bag for dryhopping. The problem I've had with that is it's very hard to get it in the carboy, but even harder to get out!

Don't worry about having enough yeast to carb- the yeast is in suspension and you can't filter it out just by using a bag.

And yes, dry hop in the secondary. It gives great aroma and flavor. I've dryhopped for up to 10 days. I've heard that much longer can lead to grassy flavors, but I've never had that experience myself so I don't know that for a fact.

Yea Yooper, I was thinking the same thing with the bag in the carboy, I would never get that thing out, well not without making a big mess. Thanks for the replies, I will be brewing this tonight!

so dryhopping in the secondary is a bad idea over 10 days? I have to do the same thing with a British Pale Ale, but it says to dry hop on day 5, after prim fermenting, before racking into secondary......

I read in some post recently that you could tie a sanitized length of fishing line to the bag then drop it in and have the line hanging out of the top of the carboy. Then you just stick your stopped in and it should seal things off.

When you are done, just pull the bag out using the line. Again, never done it, but it sounds like a slick way to do this using a muslin bag.

FWIW, when I dry hop in my secondary I time the conclusion to coincide with when it is time to rack to my bottling bucket so I can turn it upside down and don't have to worry about a mess when I remove the bag.

You can dry hop over 10 days depending on the type & variety of hops you are using, how much aroma you want, ect. My last brew was dryhopped 14 with simcoe pellets and is fantastic.

Yooper Chick said:
...I know Biermuncher has a picture in his gallery of the muslin bag over the racking cane set up...

Yooper…you been peaking through my blinds again??? :D

The key for me with this setup was to get the bottom of the racking can far enough off the bottom to avoid mixing yeast cake and hops. I’d be tempted to use a grain bag (a large grain bag so the hops are loose) if you’re concerned about a clogged siphon…though I’ve never had the problem.
Hopstopper_1.jpg
Hopstopper_2.jpg
Hopstopper_3.jpg

Yooper Chick said:
And yes, dry hop in the secondary. It gives great aroma and flavor. I've dryhopped for up to 10 days. I've heard that much longer can lead to grassy flavors, but I've never had that experience myself so I don't know that for a fact.

I've done 14 days in the 2ndary with 1.75 ounces of whole leaf Cascade. It was the best beer I have made yet.

Has anyone else seeped hops in their bottleing primer. I tried on my last IPA and it gave it great flavor. I boiled my sugar in 1/2 qt of h20 and added my hops in a paint bag for 10 or 15 minutes (didn't write it down) then transferred and bottled.

Cascades all the way baby (actually It was willamette whole I think, really gotta write this sh*t down)

Definately will be doing this on all My IPA's. It seemed to reduce the carbing effect, so I will use 3/4 instead of 2/3 cornsugar next time.

I STILL love dropping 2 oz of whole leaf Cascade in the keg. The flavor just keeps getting better and better. Of course my Pale Ale keg never lasts more than a few weeks ;)

Back