Overcarbonated Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFlint

Reaction score
My second beer was a honey ale which seems to have not have fermented as completely as I thought at bottling. Fortunatly the bottle conditioning is complete and fermentation has stoped but I'm still left with an extreamely carbonated beer. It is so carbonated as to make it difficult to open, pour and serve. Is it possible/recommendable to carefully uncap the bottles, allow most of the CO2 to escape and recap? Or is there any other better method to bring this beer within normal carbonation levels?
Patrick Flint

That's why you should test them along the way.

Once the beer has a carbonation level that you like then you need to put the entire batch in the fridge to stop the process.

I'm not certain what you can do except to maybe vent it a little to reduce the pressure on the inside of the bottle then and let it sit awhile before opening entirely.

It may help to refrigerate them for awhile - say a week, two or maybe more - before opening.

Back