How many kettles are essential for 3 tier system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
looking to go forward with a bigger brew capacity and would like to know if two or three kettles would be better for building a 3 teir system.

Are there distinct advantages to using a kettle/keggle with a false bottom for the mash tun instead of using a converted cooler?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Essential? - well one kettle. But it is personal preference if you go 2 pots and a cooler or 3 pots.

I personally prefer the cooler as it is cheap, easy and keeps the temp for an hour. I understand if you go with a pot as a MLT and direct fire you will need some kind of RIMS or HERMS system to prevent scorching.

I see direct fire as a version of a rims assuming you recirculate but then you wouldn't need 3 tiers if you use a pump. Bottom line is its hard to direct fire a metal tun without circulation.

Good to know. I think I may just stick with 2 pots and the cooler mash tun. I have been looking at trying to build a basic system out of wood except for the burner supports.

Is building and using a HERMS system expensive?

Back