Massive lager starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im making a 14G Oktoberfest in a couple weeks.... Ill be making the starter, and Ive never stepped one up befroe. Can I get a rundown? normal 1L water 3/4 cup DME boil for 10 min, chill... stir for 3 days, decant 1L water 3/4 cup DME? or more water?

i have a 2L earlenmyer flask... if that matters?

Im making a 14G Oktoberfest in a couple weeks.... Ill be making the starter, and Ive never stepped one up befroe. Can I get a rundown? normal 1L water 3/4 cup DME boil for 10 min, chill... stir for 3 days, decant 1L water 3/4 cup DME? or more water?

i have a 2L earlenmyer flask... if that matters?

You might be better off making a Cream/Blonde Ale, fermenting at around 58-60 with that yeast and then using the slurry for that beer.

Getting enough yeast for 14 gallons of lager is no small task

You might be better off making a Cream/Blonde Ale, fermenting at around 58-60 with that yeast and then using the slurry for that beer.

ya, I figure there was a chance i might have to step it up 3-4 times, so asking a month in advance..... not a bad idea :)

pfft... you don't know any pro lager brewers, apparently :D

i make starters by weight, not volume. 100g of DME to 1L of water. i also suggest getting a jug of cheap wine, cook with it, then use that glass jug for bigger starters. they work on stir plates too.

Screw that! I'd just by 4-6 packets of Saflager W-34/70 and be done with it. That would be a fine yeast for an O-fest.

I have a whole bunch :) I also have a 1G jug, I used it before I got my flask.

i only ever had 1L flasks, and that was a waste of time, since i typically brew 10 gallon batches. i have a bunch of 1500mL beakers that i use to step up my starters (make 4L, break it into the three beakers, cool it all, then step up as needed.

Back