Siphon inside keggle doesn't work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramz7887

Reaction score
I don't know why its not siphoning out the last parts of water? Its has a 90 degree bend and is part of a 3 tier system. Should the kettle be a little higher? I thaught that it would create a vaccum from draining out a full kettle and be fine even though there is not much of a height change
3701065376_4f9e9f888e.jpg

From the looks of it, I'm assuming you are fly sparging with the sparge water in the keggle being siphoned through a manifold in the lid of your mash tun.
If that is correct, then the problem is most likely in the manifold itself. When the water level gets low in the keg, the siphon naturally slows down (less weight and gravity pressure from all that water). When the siphon flowrate/strength slow down like this, one of the holes or slits in your manifold stops dripping water and takes on air, this air entering the system may be stopping the siphon.

The hose connected to the keggle valve needs to hang down below the bottom of the keg for the siphon to get what's below the manifold. Also, sometime a tiny leak in the connections of your pickup tube will prevent a siphon from happening. Happened to me once - I disassembled and put back together and worked like a champ

Yes, more drop on the output tubing is important, but if you're trying to run it slowly in a fly sparge setup, you should probably put a tubing valve lower down on the tubing to help keep the output tube filled with water.

Back