To Peach or Not to Peach....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyShootist

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a wheat beer still in the primary fermenting away. It should be done in about another 3-4 days and then I'll have to make a decision.

This is an extract recipie, actually a kit with some slight modifications on my part (I bought some different hops and some liquid yeast to replace the kit components).

So I am not expecting this to be a fantastic beer although it should be a good one. The question is whether to add fruit or not. I have comtemplated doing a "peachy" wheat beer and would like some feedback on how much peach puree I should use and about how long should it remain in the secondary?

Any advice would be much appreciated, including reasons for not adding fruit at all.

Thanks
TC

Go for it. Its spring and peaches are tasty summer fruit. I did about 3lb of whole fruit and it turned out good. I have heard that apricots will actually give a better peach flavor then peaches so you could give that a shot too.

I would use 3lbs. of the puree. That is the size of the big Oregon Fruit Puree cans. This is what I would recommend, I have heard from many sources that this gives the best balance of flavor and aroma. I think 2-3 weeks in the secondary with the fruit will work well. Just wait until you see it is settle out, then bottle/keg.

icon-67117796.jpg

MMMMmmmm..... Gonna do another peach beer for the 4th. Used some honey malt, wheat DME and light DME last year with 5lbs. peaches in secondary and it came out nice. SWMBO slipped skins off after a dip in boiled water and then she pitted and chunked them before ramming them into the funnel into the carboy. They foamed for about a week. It wasn't the clearest beer and we drank a bit of pulp, but damn it was good!

I've not tried the puree but I know that most use it with success. Just wanted to try something more hands on.

SWMBO slipped skins off after a dip in boiled water and then she pitted and chunked them before ramming them into the funnel into the carboy. They foamed for about a week.

there's something about this statement -- it makes me half-smile for a second or two...then i cringe. it's starts off sounding rather alluring, but finishes in such a graphic and violent manner...

there's something about this statement -- it makes me half-smile for a second or two...then i cringe. it's starts off sounding rather alluring, but finishes in such a graphic and violent manner...

Like I said, hands on ;)

MMMMmmmm..... SWMBO slipped skins off after a dip in boiled water and then she pitted and chunked them before ramming them into the funnel into the carboy. It foamed for about a week. damn it was good!

Foamed for a week

Back