Using fresh, frozen, or preserved fruits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggiweg

Reaction score
New to the game, but getting ready to make my second batch from a kit. I am planning on playing with the ingredients a little and want to make a berry wheat. The kit calls for 500g of dextrose and 300g of DME. I was thinking I could short a little on both and add in some blackberries or cherries. Has anyone ever tried such a thing? And if you have any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated.

i would not alter the amount of ingredients in the kit, instead i would add your berries on top of the supplied ingredients. theres no reason to skimp on the flavor, or alcohol. the berries when used in proper proportion have a tendency to mask your malt flavoring to an extent. that being said, if you skimp your ingredients, you will have watery tasting but fruity beer. keep in mind, proper proportion of fruit is 1 lbs per 1 gallon of beer. 5 gallon batch=5 lbs fruit. also, use frozen fruit, and then pasteurize to prevent contamination. if its a wheat beer, dont worry about the haze. if its an ale, youll have hazy beer, but thats better than ruined beer.

i would not alter the amount of ingredients in the kit, instead i would add your berries on top of the supplied ingredients. theres no reason to skimp on the flavor, or alcohol. the berries when used in proper proportion have a tendency to mask your malt flavoring to an extent. that being said, if you skimp your ingredients, you will have watery tasting but fruity beer. keep in mind, proper proportion of fruit is 1 lbs per 1 gallon of beer. 5 gallon batch=5 lbs fruit. also, use frozen fruit, and then pasteurize to prevent contamination. if its a wheat beer, dont worry about the haze. if its an ale, youll have hazy beer, but thats better than ruined beer.

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get this started today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Worked out great! Just got done bottling, had to sit it fermentation longer than I thought. Colour is good and mild berry flavour. I ended up being lazy and just throwing them in at flame out in a steeping bag. Left them in the whole fermentation process. My girlfriend was bitching at me the whole time that it will ruin the batch. But turned out to have a nice light berry after taste. Next time i will add to secondary ferment. Couldn't this time as I only own one car boy.

Back