CraigTube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobot

Reaction score
I'm a newb, (4th 5 gal. extract batch fermenting ), and I find CraigTube on You Tube fascinating. It may just be that at this stage, I respect anyone who shares information to further the cause. But also, he seems to have a genuine interest in helping the world create more beer.
Do any of the more veteran brewers here have any thoughts about Craig?
:cross:

If you like Craig you will love this guy. I ditched cable for a ROKU set top box and found many brewing podcasts to entertain myself. I love this guy because he looks like he can kick some ass but talks like he is teaching pre-schoolers how to brew. I switch between Brewing TV and Homebrewer TV. I have to use the Ipad to check out Craig. Good stuff, I may start up a brewing podcast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewerTV

Maddad, I'm going to check out your link as soon as I post this. Here's a nonsense one from Craig, where he rambles on and on, but he's got his mic set down next to an airlock, which is bubbling away the whole time. Ahhhhh, it amused me, but I've been drinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhxwTaXHolI&list=UUoHbeio8mHTGe4G0dkTONrg&index=6:cross:

Haha...sounds more like a bad night of Mexican food and binge drinking than a mother's womb. That was not his first beer, for sure!

He was my introduction into homebrewing. I think I watched all his basic home brewing videos a few times. If not for his quirky videos I would probably never gotten into this hobby.

Me personally? I think he's great! :mug: to Craig

I've watched a fair number of his videos. He is definitely happy with the way he brews, although he occasionally tries out new things. I liked how he took his timing detailing everything about his first all-grain batch.

One thing nobody can disagree with is that he enjoys his beer. When he takes a taste, it isn't some wimpy little sip. He takes a good 3 or 4 gulp chug, and then sighs mightily with satisfaction. I dig that.

He's cool enough,in the first few months of your brewing timeline.
I hate the fact that folks send him loads and loads of free stuff,it turns me bloody well green with envy.

I appreciate ol' Craig because he seems to be the only YouTuber out there that doesn't seem to try to give you more information than he has in his pocket. Too many video's that at first seem very informative (as they attempt to trump up there skill level), only to give themselves away at some point that what they are doing is there first time! If Craig doesn't know, but is trying something for the first time, he tells you so. Refreshing! Also, he shows potential new brewers how easy brewing CAN be. So many vids depicting advanced/pricey/space hog set ups have got to have run a lot of people off that may have got there feet wet, if they knew you could make decent beer with little more than a pot and a plastic bucket......

I appreciate ol' Craig.. because he he shows potential new brewers how easy brewing CAN be. So many vids You can

make decent beer with little more than a pot and a plastic bucket......

Great post Irishred! You made a great point! Craig's awesome! Lucky for us to have him in the brewing community!

If not for Craig I probably wouldn't have even tried.

I went the all grain way a while back and have built some neat equipment since.

Would probably never have happened if Craigtube never got me started. He is a great homebrerwer icon in my booK and I thank him for giving me a foundation in this hobby,

I love Craig. Really good dude. While I disagree with a lot of his brewing practices if he is happy with it, that's all that matters.

Besides, you gotta admit, he's entertaining.

It's so funny how opinions about Craigtube have gone 360 degrees from when he first started posting videos. If you look at some of the old threads on here, he was bashed and trashed from one end of here to the other. And it spilled over onto his channel, with some nasty comments by some of our more trollish members.

But he came back to them and basically said "I'm not a homebrew hobbyist, I'm brewing because beer is so expensive here, so I'm going to make beer I enjoy, share what info I have, and not sweat the details."

And he did, and over the years he's become one of the folks who's gotten a lot of people into the hobby. It's so funny to see the shift in just a few years.

If you like Craig you will love this guy. I ditched cable for a ROKU set top box and found many brewing podcasts to entertain myself. I love this guy because he looks like he can kick some ass but talks like he is teaching pre-schoolers how to brew. I switch between Brewing TV and Homebrewer TV. I have to use the Ipad to check out Craig. Good stuff, I may start up a brewing podcast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewerTV

I didn't know Gary had a youtube channel. Thanks for the link. He could no longer afford his show,so I guess he switched to youtube. He gave me the full 3 thunbs up against a commercial brew with my 2nd one,on episode #38.
Craig is funny & down to earth. when we were thinking about trying brewing beer after making wine for quite a while,his vids got me to see how easy it is nowadays. His AG video gave me the nerve to try partial mash. My 2nd pm brew is fermenting now. I like how he really seems to enjoy his beer & brewing it. :mug:

It's so funny how opinions about Craigtube have gone 360 degrees from when he first started posting videos. If you look at some of the old threads on here, he was bashed and trashed from one end of here to the other. And it spilled over onto his channel, with some nasty comments by some of our more trollish members.

But he came back to them and basically said "I'm not a homebrew hobbyist, I'm brewing because beer is so expensive here, so I'm going to make beer I enjoy, share what info I have, and not sweat the details."

And he did, and over the years he's become one of the folks who's gotten a lot of people into the hobby. It's so funny to see the shift in just a few years.

Negativity on forums comes in waves unfortunately. HBT does a very good job of keeping things very positive and helpful for the most part. It's a community I'm proud to be a member of.

But yes, I remember all the Craigtube hate. Personally, I like his quirky-ness, but I don't really gain anything from watching his videos. They are fun to watch, but I just find too many things I don't agree with to spend my time on his channel.

I have tons of respect for him though. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself and your ideas in front of a camera for the whole world to judge and see. He's done good things for the hobby, and that should be praised.

Craig's awesome. You have to check out his cast on Justin.tv Friday nights starting at 9pm central.

I remember quite a few negative comments on his videos that were from people on here. I mean, they didn't even bother to have a different HBT and YouTube name. I also remember some great comments from HBT members. In particular, I recall one of Craig's rants, a great one that he took down unfortunately, that prompted BobbyM to make a really good response video.

I was watching one of his HBW recently where he mentioned the malt liquor crowd rattling his cage now. He was being a good joe about,basically saying live & let live. Idk what's wrong with some people being far too intolerant of what others like. I think Craig brews some tasty lookin stuff. I'd be perk as a ruttin buck to share some home brews & stories with him. He's been doin it for some 25 years.

I haven't watched it yet,but he plays music,takes calls via skype,& chat window stuff. They talk about beer & other things.

He's cool enough,in the first few months of your brewing timeline.
I hate the fact that folks send him loads and loads of free stuff,it turns me bloody well green with envy.

You should see the episode where a fan of his from Minnesota came to visit him, and Midwest Supplies donated a wort chiller, a boiling kettle, several pounds of dextrose, and other stuff. If I knew the link I'd post it.....

Anyway, it's just him and this guy sitting on the front porch talking, and they went out to dinner and drinks afterword.......

Back