Gott Cooler Mash Tun as Bottling Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobyhale

Reaction score
OK, well finally got my 10 Gallon Gott Cooler Mash Tun made! Woohoo! I'm really excited about my first all grain this weekend. One question, anyone see a problem with me using this as my bottling bucket as well? Would work well with the ball lock valve, but would the stainless brade filter any needed yeast or anything? I can't really see an issue.....just wanted to be sure. Also, I still don't have a wort chiller, can I get away without one with AG? I just can't justify any more money right now. Well I can, but SHE can't.
Image006.jpg

Man, I know what he's getting for Christmas. Always the non toys that he likes the best. Hehe.

It should work fine. Take your braid out, and just use the spigot. Make sure you sanitize the heck out of everything, and run some sanitizer through the spigot as well.

It will work, but you are going to have to be exceptionally careful about keeping your mash tun meticulously clean and sanitize it after every use (as an MLT or a bottling bucket). I would be particularly worried about the crevices around the fittings and the SS braid itself. You should probably take everything apart to clean it after every use. Unfortunately, doing this a lot might make it hard to get a good seal around your fittings over time.

Honestly, if it were me, I would just drop $12 and buy a dedicated bucket and plastic spigot. Easier to take apart, clean, and keep sanitized. If it saves you just one bad batch, it has paid for itself and more.

Of course it will work. My thoughts:

--account for the increase in dead space when compared to a smaller-diameter bottling bucket;

--another one for sanitation: the plastic in the Rubbermaid (Gott) is soft and thin, which is fine for mashing, but will require perfect sanitation for bottling;

--changing the screen/manifold is likely not necesary but a very good idea (there always seems to be one more kernal hiding somewhere), and is that something you want to do each time?

How much is a bottling bucket? I bought a spare for about $15 with spigot and lid.

If you're looking for something to do double-duty and perhaps save some storage space, why not consider using a plastic primary fermenter as a bottling bucket (they're really the same thing)?

Yeah, I guess buying a $15 bottling bucket would probably be a better option. Much easier to sanitize. I'll probably use it today for my Smoked Porter that is ready to bottle, but after a bucket it is!

How about the lack of a wort chiller? Going to be a major issue? Can I still use my Bathtub of icewater?

jacobyhale said:
How about the lack of a wort chiller? Going to be a major issue? Can I still use my Bathtub of icewater?
Yes, that will work for up to 5 gal batches (or larger if you have a big tub, I guess). It is just a bit of a PITA compared to using a chiller.

Just remember to gently stir/whirlpool the cooling wort (as sanitary as possible) to speed up cooling. BTW, aluminum pots really shine here when cooling with a bathtub full of ice because of their high heat conductivity.

Hope it goes well! :)

The only issue I see with using the bathtub is actually carrying boiling wort to your bathroom and placing it in the tub. It seems like an accident waiting to happen. When I did partial boils, I easily carried 2 or 3 gallons over to the sink, but I'd never even attempt over 5 gallons, especially when it's boiling. I'm wimpy, though, so maybe it's just me. I can barely lift 5.5 gallons of wort, let alone carry it and place it on floor level then lift it up again when cool. You'll probably have far less trouble than I would, but I thought I would mention it.

If you're boiling outside, you might be better off setting up another bigger pot with ice in it and place your boiling wort into that. Like a washtub or something. Might avoid an accident.

Back