Left over grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boothbrew

Reaction score
hello,

I have some left over grains and was wondering how long I can hold onto them?
I put them in a ziplock freezer bag. Do they go bad after a given amount of time? If so, how long??
:confused:

Thanks

Kilted Brewer said:
Would vaccum packing already crushed grains help at all?

Yes, I am sure that would help quite a bit. Exposure to air is the number one culprit when it comes to staleness. Eliminating that air would certainly help. However, if looking to store grains, I would think it would be worth the investment to buy a mill and store the grains uncrushed. If your grains taste stale, then your brew will likely taste stale. And I don't think anyone is looking for that.

Uncrushed store much better than crushed, but if you put them in ziplok bags and squeeze/suck as much air out as possible or, better yet, vacuum seal them, that will help keep them fresher longer. Storing them in the freezer might help, too.

cubbies said:
Yes, I am sure that would help quite a bit. Exposure to air is the number one culprit when it comes to staleness. Eliminating that air would certainly help. However, if looking to store grains, I would think it would be worth the investment to buy a mill and store the grains uncrushed. If your grains taste stale, then your brew will likely taste stale. And I don't think anyone is looking for that.

Groovy. It would just be leftovers, not bulk grain for storage.

cubbies said:
Sure am. Born and raised in STL too. I am a rare species.

So there are normal people in STL. Just kidding.... :)

Lets hope the new owners get them to the world series next year....
Us Cub fans are long overdue.

:mug:

Yeah, we'll see. I dont know what new ownership is going to do though. IMO the players are already in place. Good starting rotation, good bullpen, good bench players, some speed, good power hitters (even though they didnt show up until Sept)...they just cant seem to get it done. It will happen someday, and I honestly dont think it will be that long.

boothbrew said:
Sounds like the risk isn't worth the reward.

I agree with that. A pound of grain isn't over $1.50 and usually the left overs are the little amount of specials, not the big amount of bases. Get all the flavor possible from those guys.

Back