Question about The Beer Connoisseur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhanley

Reaction score
So, my lovely wife, God bless her, using the knowledge that I love beer, bought.....something....from Groupon from The Beer Connoisseur website that actually doesn't state what the heck it is. I THINK it's a magazine subscription (OK, cool), but it doesn't say. I HOPE it's not a website subscription (because that's free on their site).

They have a section titled "beer school" which essentially tells you how to "properly appreciate beer." Not much of a "school" there for a brewer.

Does anybody ever use this site/magazine? Is this going to be useful to a brewer, or is it going to be more of an "entertainment" magazine?

Looks more like entertainment. Sorry.

I glanced at the "Club" membership and frankly I'm not sure what it is they are selling. "Virtual Camaraderie?" I have no idea what that is, but it sounds an awful lot like what we have here.

That said, it was free and it was a nice gesture.

It's a magazine subscription. My girlfriend bought me this last autumn. BC is a nice magazine, but much more akin to Cigar Aficionado than to BYO or Zymurgy. Also, it only publishes quarterly, I believe, and is fairly thin for such a long cycle. That said, I get the impression that it's the baby of a very small group of people, and lacks heavy financial backing.

It's a magazine subscription. My girlfriend bought me this last autumn. BC is a nice magazine, but much more akin to Cigar Aficionado than to BYO or Zymurgy. Also, it only publishes quarterly, I believe, and is fairly thin for such a long cycle. That said, I get the impression that it's the baby of a very small group of people, and lacks heavy financial backing.

Lifetime subscriber here (which may have been a mistake). I spoke with some of the reps at GABF a few years back, and you're right it's their attempt at a beer version of "Cigar Aficionado." It's supposed to be published quarterly, but I think they may have some funding issues that affected that schedule. There was recently a gap of 2 quarters between issues, and the quality of the materials used has noticeably gone down. That was in addition to the diminished volume of content compared to previous issues.

Back