A Blichmann Fermenter, finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
I took the plunge and have ordered a 27 gallon Blichmann fermenter. I was tired of lugging carboys around and want more volume and ease of use. Now I will be able to drop the trub and yeast when I want to without "pita". :D A closed system was also one of my aims and now I can do it easily using CO2 to push it into kegs. I know it's a lot of money but I figure it will pay for itself in yeast and beer saved from transfer loss over time. Since I have been brewing I have not acquired any new and expensive equipment and figure this is my last chance to brew like the big boys. I do have to build a small room to place it in though as I want to keep it cool along with my filled kegs.:ban:

kick-ass! Enjoy it. I'm busy building AG parts, so my $ is going there at present. Hope it works out well for you.

I will enjoy!!! I have been through the bigger boil and mash equipment spending too and you will get there soon. Once you are set up it is great though and you will gain many local friends to help you drink the beer. :)

They're awesome... love ours. Do you do large enough batches for the 27 gal size? I see they're now offering tri-clamps and casters.

I have the baby the 7 gallon version. I have me a clone of Hop Rod Rye in it now luckly mine fits in a small fridge. I did add a two stage temp control for it to use in the fall. She is a beauty and oh man 27 gallons!

Can you say jealous! Man oh Man Oschevitz! Good luck with it. I am aiming to buy a small brewery soon (dreaming).

Wish I could say that! Someday!

- WW

WBC said:
I know it's a lot of money but I figure it will pay for itself in yeast and beer saved from transfer loss over time.

Just how many gallons are you losing when you transfer? :drunk:

$700+ for the fermentor AND you're going to build a room for it? I'm happy for you and that's cool as hell, but let's save the "it's gonna save money" story for SWMBO, OK?

[/jealous sniping]

Nate said:
They're awesome... love ours. Do you do large enough batches for the 27 gal size? I see they're now offering tri-clamps and casters.

Sure do........ I brew a lot and am tired. I guess too many friends have discovered the beer is good and keep comming by to check out the latest brew. I looked into the Tri-clamps but can not justify it right away. It can be added later anyway.

Brew-boy said:
I have the baby the 7 gallon version. I have me a clone of Hop Rod Rye in it now luckly mine fits in a small fridge. I did add a two stage temp control for it to use in the fall. She is a beauty and oh man 27 gallons!

The price difference is not to big between 7,15 to the 27 and so I think that if you can do it then go for it. It's the same work doing 27 as 5 so why not. I do have to build an enclosure but that will be fun anyway.

Bike N Brew said:
Just how many gallons are you losing when you transfer? :drunk:

$700+ for the fermentor AND you're going to build a room for it? I'm happy for you and that's cool as hell, but let's save the "it's gonna save money" story for SWMBO, OK?

[/jealous sniping]

Ok, it may take time to recover the cost but over time you loose a little brew each time you transfer from each and every 5 gallon carboy and I only drop trub once in the conical. No transfers to a secondary either! No handling of carboys which saves time cleaning and sanitizing not to mention "breaking one once and a while". So what part of loss of beer and personal time do you not understand? I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I think maybe you were. Yes it costs money to save money. I hope that you can have good fortune and buy a conical some day. You may even be jelous a bit I think. ;)

Ryanh1801 said:
27 gallons!!!:eek: :eek: Hope you have lots of beer drinking friends.

I manage to always get visitors and before the beer started to flow either. That's why I went all grain. I can have more beer and not spend a lot on ingredients either. I get yeast from a local brewry too for free. It starts fermenting in a couple of hours. I have yet to brew a big beer this year as It will not be consumed as fast and therefore will sit longer before it is consumed. I do need more room for conditioning therefore I am building a small fermenting /conditioning room in the garage.

WBC said:
You may even be jelous a bit I think. ;)

I think that's a given for all of us, but especially for Bike n Brew seeing as how he used the jealous sniping metatag. You gotta expect that when you buy toys like that.

Here, let me pound some sunshine up your ass. :fro: :fro: :fro:

Fingers said:
I think that's a given for all of us, but especially for Bike n Brew seeing as how he used the jealous sniping metatag. You gotta expect that when you buy toys like that.

Here, let me pound some sunshine up your ass. :fro: :fro: :fro:

I think all you guys are great and I live to brew so I understand when you see some one get what you have wanted for a long time you just feel like throwing a rock or two. I have wanted a bigger fermenter for a long long time. I can always brew 10 gallons if I get ahead of consumption. I like giving it away too as much as I do brewing it. I buy 50 LB bags and it does not cost much that way.

WBC said:
Ok, it may take time to recover the cost but over time you loose a little brew each time you transfer from each and every 5 gallon carboy and I only drop trub once in the conical. No transfers to a secondary either! No handling of carboys which saves time cleaning and sanitizing not to mention "breaking one once and a while". So what part of loss of beer and personal time do you not understand? I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I think maybe you were. Yes it costs money to save money. I hope that you can have good fortune and buy a conical some day. You may even be jelous a bit I think. ;)

Man, take a pill. It was humor. I'll use more smilies next time. :D

Happy for you, really. And I'm sure you'll enjoy the new toy :mug:

Holy crap. $700? Holy Crap!! $700, as in seven hundred? And you're not even selling to the public? That's hardcore, mang!

But I've gotta give you props (see above) as well as thanks---thank you for being that guy who I can point to when the wife complains (not very often) about me dropping a bunch of cash on brewing stuff. I'll say, "but, baby, WBC spent 700 bones on a single fermenter!"

:tank:

Bike N Brew said:
Man, take a pill. It was humor. I'll use more smilies next time. :D

Happy for you, really. And I'm sure you'll enjoy the new toy :mug:

Thanks, I was hoping you were not throwing to hard. I just tapped my house ale and MMMMMMMMMnnn Good. I love this stuff. Thanks for the reply. :)

Can't beleive WBC bought a 27 Gallon Fermenter! What does he think he is a commercial brewery or somethin? Cmon man get with reality dude!!

just kiddin - thought I would chime in a bit to get my $.02 of humor in. Congrats really. Isn't that what we are all about. No ill gotten feelings ever from real brewers dog! Aint nuttin but real brewers on HBT!

Good luck and send some my way!

- WW

Evan! said:
Holy crap. $700? Holy Crap!! $700, as in seven hundred? And you're not even selling to the public? That's hardcore, mang!

But I've gotta give you props (see above) as well as thanks---thank you for being that guy who I can point to when the wife complains (not very often) about me dropping a bunch of cash on brewing stuff. I'll say, "but, baby, WBC spent 700 bones on a single fermenter!"

:tank:

Tell your wife that mine said OK. :mug: I love her even more. She has always been good when she knows I really want something.

WBC said:
Tell your wife that mine said OK. :mug: I love her even more. She has always been good when she knows I really want something.
I love her as well

WBC said:
The price difference is not to big between 7,15 to the 27 and so I think that if you can do it then go for it. It's the same work doing 27 as 5 so why not. I do have to build an enclosure but that will be fun anyway.

The reason I went for the smaller one is I rather brew more often and perfect my brewing process. All my other equipment is set up for 5 gallons anyways and I can fit the conical into my fridge or kegerator which is a plus.

Congrats on the big buy!!! I just bought the 14 galloner. Questions to all. where do i buy the the fitting so i can pressurize it. It suppose to handle 10lbs of pressure so it could also be a serving tank. What fittings do you use for the top?

Taygel said:
Congrats on the big buy!!! I just bought the 14 galloner. Questions to all. where do i buy the the fitting so i can pressurize it. It suppose to handle 10lbs of pressure so it could also be a serving tank. What fittings do you use for the top?

I asked that same question where I purchased. They sent a message to Blichmann's engineering group for an answer. I'm still waiting.

Brew-boy said:
The reason I went for the smaller one is I rather brew more often and perfect my brewing process. All my other equipment is set up for 5 gallons anyways and I can fit the conical into my fridge or kegerator which is a plus.

I thought the 14g also fits in a standard fridge. Not that I'll be able to aquire one any time soon, but the 14g is my long-term plan. I also like to do 5g batches more often, but every now and then, I'd like to be able to do a 10-12 gallon batch for big parties.

Thats cool, I was told it was not a good idea to ferment a 5 gallon batch in the 14 gallon conical so thats really what made to decision to go to the smaller one. It is a great product and you will love it. A pain in the ass to lift into the fridge though.

I had the pleasure of getting to know the founder, John, at the AHA nationals and really enjoyed my chats with him and his marketing partner. I really am impressed with the thought and energy they are putting into their products. Congrats on the fermenter. I have two and love them.

When I first bought the fermenter I thought it was a 27 gallon fermentor. I now know that Blichmann is talking about total space and not the wort volume which is 21 gallons for the 27 gallon fermentor. I am sorry if I mislead anyone as I made the mistake. The online information does not point this out.

Back