Johnson A419 Probe mounting location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my A419. Where is the best place to mount it in the kegerator to get the best readings?

I put the probe directly against the side of a full keg that I have in there. I then took two small foam mouse pads (thicker) and put it against the probe and put a strap around it. I don't know the place to get the best readings. Thought I'd ask

I did 38 degrees, with a 1 differential and 11 minute ASD. My unit holds the temp pretty well so it hardly fluctuates so I stuck with a 1 diff.

Yup, that's it! I mount it on the middle of my fermenting bucket and duct tape a weather strip foam on the other side for insulation. Some people say to put a glass of water in the fridge to test the temp of what it might be inside your fermenter. What people forget is that fermentation produces heat...and that it's not water inside your carboy/bucket. Cheers :mug:

If you're using it to control the temp of the fridge you are serving out of (which I assume is what you meant by kegerator), I wouldn't use the side of a keg unless you mount it very close to the bottom. Once the level of the keg drops below where the probe is mounted, you won't be getting readings from that thermal buffer anymore. I have my probe in a bomber filled with water, which seems to keep everything at the temperature I want without frequent cycling.

If you're doing fermentation though, then the side of a keg is absolutely the best place.

We are assuming you are talking about the temperature probe. With that, what you described is good.

For the control unit - mount it on the outside of the kegerator. Condensation on the inside would not be good for it.

We are assuming you are talking about the temperature probe. With that, what you described is good.

For the control unit - mount it on the outside of the kegerator. Condensation on the inside would not be good for it.

Yes, was talking about the probe. I was able to snake the probe through the rear of the kegerator without drilling so all is good.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Is this probe waterproof?? I am thinking of placing a mason jar with water in it to maintain the temp better than the probe just sitting in open air in the keezer. Should hold the temp better. Any ideas??

Why not just attach it to the side of your fermentor?

Because I will be using it for kegs and draft beer. I just lowered it to cold crash 2 carboys and it seems to be switching off and on a lot more than when I was fermenting. Also, if the probe was in solution, it should be the same temp as the beer inside the kegs.

I have not started my own beers up again. I'm going to do it as a winter project when work slows down a bit. Right now I have it on a store bought keg. I might end up putting the probe into a beer bottle instead of the side of the keg for the reasons mentioned above when the keg starts to empty.

Will a beer bottle full of water give an accurate temp reading? Is the probe completely waterproof? or would I put it into a zip lock or something to keep it try?

Back