Flame out hop additions - how long in the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingSailor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have read a few different things about flame out (or 0 minute additions) of hops. Recently, in an article by Jamil Z., he said something similar to "after adding the 0 minute hops be sure to cool the wort as quickly as possible to lock in the aroma". It got me wondering if I dump 2 oz of hops in at flame out, and I use a plate chiller, and use a hop spider to keep the pellet hops from clogging my plate chiller, am I defeating the purpose of adding flame out hops? Are there any rules of thumb on how to do flame out hops properly?

I've heard cool immediately, I've hears throw them I'm, kill flame and let sit, I've heard throw them in kill flame and cool to 180 and let sit.

I have no idea, but I usually cool immediately and dry hop the hell out of my IPAs. Seem to have good results.

I do the same method as phoenixs4r. Takes me about 15 minutes to cool my wort before I pitch the yeast. I also have disregarded flame out additions in favor of dry-hopping and I prefer that more - but that's just my preference.

if you cool fast enough, flame out hops are kinda worthless. I too prefer to dry hop.

I throw hops in at flame out let them site for 10 mins and then run the wort through a plate chiller. I chill down to pitching temps in around 5 mins so when its all said and done the 0 min hops r usually in for around 15 mins. Ive had what I would consider good results with that. But dry hopping is really where you are going to get the bulk of your aroma

Back