Hop problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
Well, I got AHS promotional European ale kit a couple of weeks ago. Because of this and that, I haven't been able to brew it. Well, thinking of brewing it on Fri or Sat morning, and it just went through my thick skull that the hops are still in the garage in the box. They're vacuum packed, but were not refridgerated.

It calls for 1/2 oz of Premiant Saaz at 60min (I've got 1oz), then 1/2 Sladek Saaz and 1 of Saaz Aucha at 15 min (got 1oz of each), and 1 of Saaz Traschitz at 5 min.

What should I do? LHBS doesn't carry Saaz, and surely doesn't carry these four types. I'm leaning towards just dumping the entire oz of each at the designated times and seeing what we end up with. How bad is the ~75-80deg temp going to screw up the hops? Doubt there's a calculator for that. :cross:

There IS a calculator for that and while warm temps are bad for hops, we're talking about many weeks and months, not days.

I would say your hops are fine. Maybe add a little bit extra just for good measure, but I would say that the full ounce, or even 2/3rds of an ounce would be overkill.

Vacuum sealed and only out a couple weeks? You should be fine. Don't worry a bit about it. Ideally you'd want to refrigerate vacuum packed hops for long term storage, but two weeks isn't going to make a difference.

Go ahead and brew away! No worries!:mug:

Onward ho!!! A brewing I will go!!

Thanks a ton. Hopefully, one day, I will be able to pass the help onto rookies like myself. But first, I have to have a kegerator!!

just think about the way hops are prepared. they've dried out before their vacuum sealed. no worries.

keep reading these forums and brew for a few months and you'll be able to pass info on before you know it, lol

Latest posts

Back