Chimay Blue clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Just wondering if temps bouncing between the recommended high and low for WLP500 is okay. It's hard to keep it tight in the range. I've seen many post here and in other places who like it in the upper 70's and lower 80's for several belgian yeast strains but I would not like the severe banana flavors from my strong dark ales. I had it going from 68 up to 74 for the first 48 hours at the stairs down to the basement then I moved it downstairs where it got down to 64 before I moved it back upstairs to around 68 where it is now stable(temps were warmer here in NE this time of year).

Please see the linky:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/easy-chimay-blue-clone-73965/index14.html#post3718101

I ended up hitting an OG of 1.110 :eek: I'll be sweet no doubt but after time and with the 3L starter it should attenuate well and have some nice complexity. I really hope it gets down into the teens at least.

I like to start my dark strongs on the cooler side initially (66ish) for a couple days, then when it slows down a little I will ramp it up to warmer temps. If it is too warm initially you run the risk of the yeast making a bunch of fusel alcohols. These don't really age out that much.

This yeast is optimum to 72 and I didn't exceed that except by a few degrees for a short period so I think I'm good although time will tell. Unfortunately it's a little too cold in my basement for it so I'm keeping it at 70-72 right now.

What do you think my final gravity will end up being? I know conditions are variables most dynamic. With 12 lbs. of lme, 1 lb dark rock sugar, and a can of Lyle's golden syrup I'm thinking somewhere in the lower 20's? Hopefully at least in the lower 20's . . . .

With Belgians I've taken advice from here on HBT and start fermentation in the mid-60's for the first two days, then let it ramp up to ~70* for the next few days, then wrap it in a blanket and put it in a closet that has hot water pipes running under it to let it go up to the mid-high 70's for the rest of the time. It worked extremely well for a Wit that I brewed, and I have a Tripel in its second week of fermentation going right now. No harsh alcohol flavors, but plenty of ester formation (for me at least. YMMV)

I like me some esters most def. Love the phenolics too. I have a feeling this one will be a killer. With the added extract it should have some great mouthfeel and flavor not only from the amber and munich but the steeped grains which are some of my favs . .aromatic, munich, special b, caramunich, etc. I have a Rochfort clone that may be around 10% which is awesome after a month now (I've only taken hydro sample tastes and it's still in the secondary at 54 degrees). I figure to have another strong dark in the upper eschelon of abv. If I get to the teens we're talking about 13% and if it stays in the 20's, about 12%. Alcohol=esters=time=yum. As long as they are not fusels. I had a Bourbon Barrel Quad from Sixpoint a month back that gave me a killer headache. This was a 2011 bottle. Nonetheless I saved two from a case I bought and won't touch them til almost 2013.

I'll be trying the low then high temp ramp up on the next belgian. I listened to a show w hile back from the Jamil show that spoke of this and even adding the fermentables like corn sugar, syrups and the after the first 2/3 of fermentation is done to help the yeast eat the longer chain sugars first before they get worked up by sucrose and glucose as an easy starter.

Latest posts

Back