Open fermentation, Safale US05.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
So usually I use Wyeast products. For my American Brown Ale this time, I just decided to use a Safale product to try it out.

Now with open primary fermentation with Wyeast, one pouch creates a thick, all-encompassing krausen! However, this Safalle yeast while producing a krausen, is not thick and leaves spots of the wort still visible.

Should I think anything of this? Usually I trust Wyeast to produce a thick krausen to act as a shield but I'm not sure if the Safale yeast is doing it.

Should I run out and buy a Wyeast pouch quickly?

Thanks!

The level of krausen is dependent mainly on the strain of yeast, not on which company processes it. Besides, unless you are manually skimming the krausen, anything in it is going to fall back into the beer anyway. Generally speaking, the outflow of CO2 will keep any airborne bacteria from falling into the beer as long as fermentation is active. you could always put some cellophane or aluminum foil loosely over the top if you are concerned.

FWIW- SO5 is the same as WYeast 1056, which is the yeast strain used by Sierra Nevada... S.N. uses open fermenters

US-05 and 1056 are roughly the same strain you just need to treat them a little differently to get the same results. make a starter with 1056 and properly rehydrate the dry yeast. they will both do great things.

I would not depend of the krausen to shield you beer from anything getting in the beer. the krausen eventually falls back into the beer. so if the krausen stops anything initially it will end up in the beer anyway. however a batch of beer gives off a lot of CO2 that can cause a blanket of moving air to keep stuff out of the beer. You will be just fine.

are you fermenting with the fermenter open? is that why you are apprehensive?

I have a cover to my bucket on. I was just worried about the difference between how the two krausens looked.

Latest posts

Back