wireless electric brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve071

Reaction score
I've been browsing this forum for awhile soaking up many great ideas and this is my first post. I want to thank P-J for his schematics. They were very helpful.

The best location I have to brew is in the basement. I wanted to shorten the brew day waiting for the water to heat up and stop using propane which forces me to lug equipment up and down the cellar steps in order to do it safely. I also wanted to be able to do 10 gallon batches in a limited space while not spending a lot of money. I had a free dryer outlet since we moved the washer and dryer upstairs, so I thought I'd set up an inexpensive electric system. I really liked the panels I see on this board but I'm better with software. Therefore, I created an android app that controls a 220V, 5500 watt heating element in a 15.5 gallon vessel via an Ethernet bridge (a router with custom firmware) and I have a one wire digital sensor in a probe for receiving temperature data. An embedded processor uses a PID algorithm to set to the desired temperature. It has a manual mode where I can just set the duty cycle % and cycle time and an auto mode to set the Set Point, cycle time and PID parameters (P,I,D). I can plot real time data on the android device of the duty cycle % of the heating element, current temperature and set point and save bitmaps of the charts. I will shortly add saving raw data and alarms for reaching the set point and hops additions.

I use an ice cream maker motor controlled by a router controller and a stainless steel drywall mixer to keep the water agitated while measuring the temperature. This will ensure I get a proper temperature measurement. I fit the lid of a 10 gallon cooler over aluminum sheathing that I cut to fit the top of the keg. The ice cream maker motor also does double duty in the cooler in order to mix the grain while mashing.

I also made a stainless steel stand that the immersion chiller to sit on over the heating element using eyebolts and a stainless steel splatter screen.

Maybe eventually I will add pumps, but for now I will use buckets to collect the runnings and then gravity feed it into the keggle.

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

NICE! God I wish I had the brain for computer programming/networking. I almost failed computer programming 101 in college.

That's awesome! Wish I was smart enough to put something like this together. Nice job.

Did you convert you router with DD-WTR, or is it some thing you wrote? My system I'm finishing up is using an old router with BCS-460 controller, and it's kind of a PITA. So I was thinking of converting the router to a bridge.

Nice set up!

Did you convert you router with DD-WTR, or is it some thing you wrote? My system I'm finishing up is using an old router with BCS-460 controller, and it's kind of a PITA. So I was thinking of converting the router to a bridge.

Nice set up!

Thanks. I'm using dd-wrt on an old linksys router I had laying around. These routers also have serial ports which a microcontroller can interface with.

so, are you planning on releasing your app into the wild?

awesome build!

Thanks everyone!! I definitely want to release it at some point. I also have some ideas for an inexpensive setup using this. I don't see why it wouldn't work using a RBBB kit $13: http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit
and a jeelabs ethernet card $25:
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/jeelabs-ether-card
(My linksys router is converted over to an ethernet bridge using the custom firmware from dd-wrt.com.) It is something I can try if there is enough interest.

I'm in the process of tuning the PID right now. I just tried P=10000, I = 0, D = 0 and saved the chart images and spliced the charts together. I got the enclosed image (using a set point of 139 deg F).

brewdata.jpg

Wireless brewery control huh? "All your brew kettles are belong to us now". :D

Seriously, I hate you. Nice job.

I'd be interested in this just to monitor my temps etc. while brewing. Lets face it, my phone is up my butt 24/7, but I don't want to sit and stair at my control panel for the whole process.
Tom

Would a dd-wrt router be able to do this at the same time as it's normal network duties?

I'd be interested in this just to monitor my temps etc. while brewing. Lets face it, my phone is up my butt 24/7, but I don't want to sit and stair at my control panel for the whole process.
Tom

That is the reason why I thought of doing this in the first place. I'd start heating up the strike water and walk away to do other things. I kind of knew how long it would take to heat up to temperature (about an hour) but many times I would find that I would overshoot it and then have to wait around to cool back down. Heating the water would also be the longest part of the process. (Took care of that problem with the 5500 watt heating element.) I first thought of using a laptop for control but did not want to lug that up and down the stairs so I thought a phone would be all that I really need.

I'm using a netburner for the microcontroller. The arduino has a better timebase. I currently count in 5 milliSec increments which is the best accuracy I could get without using timers. Getting the timing down for the one wire sensor was a PITA on the netburner. I don't recommend getting one for this application (although it works.). I doubt anyone has one on here. I think the arduino is better due to the low cost and ease of use but that is up to anyone who wants to use the app. I'll put together an interface specification for the app. This will allow anyone to design their own software on the microcontroller if they want such as trying out different PID algorithms (velocity vs. positional). I just put a very basic control loop together using the arduino PID library http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/PIDLibrary. I update the PID once per cycle. For the app I can add control for pumps and stirrers and it should be easily expandable to control fermentation temperatures in freezers and refrigerators as well both ways (such as using a lightbulb to heat or turning on and off the freezer). I have a fridge that I was planning on eventually using this with. Don't have pumps yet. Wanted to start simple and gradually expand it. It would also be great to see what PID parameters are optimum for this application if people can post their plots saved on the phone with the parameters they used. This would make it easier for other people to tune their systems.

I'm actually doing kinda the same thing with an arduino, SSR's and 1 wire temp sensors. I tether the arduino to my laptop for control and logging though.

You should look at brewtroller.com. It's basically running on a modified arduino on a specially made board. They done some pretty cool things like use pressure sensors to measure volume on the vessel. I'm working on adding it to my system.

steve- that all sounds awesome, but way over my head! I'm hardcore into DIY stuff (check out my basement brewery thread) and somewhat into computers, but not that hardcore! I'm just a run of the mill grease monkey here!
tom

Back