Glass vs. "Better Bottle"(plastic) Carboys???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimebrew

Reaction score
Is there a big differance in glass vs. plastic carboys??? If there is what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Thank you for your answers.....

sublimebrew said:
Is there a big differance in glass vs. plastic carboys??? If there is what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Thank you for your answers.....
I use both. 2 - 6 1/2 gallon glass carboys for primary and one 5 gallon BB for secondary.

BB plastic are much lighter and easier to manage.

Glass are more "traditional" and are crystal clear for observing your brew.

If you use the glass...make sure to have some carpet swatches in your work area. Just the sound of that glass being set on a hard concrete floor will send shivers up your spine. Also make sure if you are using hose connections around the glass, that they are plastic. Nothing more scary than a metal hose-end-sprayer slapping against your glass carboy.

Better Bottles won't cause you to bleed out on the kitchen floor if they happen to break...

Actually, I just got a Better Bottle recently, I have a brew in there for the first time now. MUCH lighter and easier to handle, of course, is the big difference. Supposedly O2 permeability is negligible, so they are safe for long-term storage. They can be scratched, so don't use a carboy brush on them. Other than that, I can't think of a single disadvantage of the BB.

Basically the Better Bottle has a few advantages.
-Lighter weight
-Won't shatter if dropped
-Supposed to be easier to clean than glass
-Can have a spigot installed
-Cheaper Shipping

Disadvantages
-Plastic scratches

Glass:
Advantages -
Definitely not oxygen permeable.
Can't scratch.
Great for long term storage.

Disadvantages -
Breakable. (Empty or full)
Harder to clean. ? I don't know for sure, but this is what I've heard.
Harder to store/move especially if they are full.

Plastic: (Better Bottles)
Advantages -
Will not break if you drop an empty one.
If it does break if you drop a full one, there is no risk of getting cut by glass shards, and you only have to clean up the wort, not glass too.
Easy to clean.
Easy to store/move.

Disadvantages -
Could possibly scratch.
They aren't supposed to be oxygen permeable, but who knows.
Tendency to flex if you pick up a full one, possibly allowing airlock water into your wort.

I don't know what else for sure since I'm such a noob myself. It'll be interesting to see everyone else's responses.

Lets keep this going adding more info in this format so that it can be wiki'd or stickied. I tried to capture what others above have said.

Glass:
Advantages

• Clarity.
  • Definitely not oxygen permeable.
  • Can't scratch.
  • Will not wear out.
  • 6.5g glass may be more desireable than 6g Better Bottle.

Disadvantages
  • Heavier.
  • Breakable (Empty or full).
  • 6.5g and 5g glass has 2 different mouth diamters.
  • Shape can vary slightly.
  • Can crack if hot liquid is poured into.

Better Bottles
Advantages

• Lighter.
  • Will not break if you drop an empty one.
  • Safer - No glass shards if broken.
  • Easy to clean because of the ease in lifting and shaking.
  • Easy to store/move.
  • Cheaper Shipping.
  • Can have a spigot installed.
  • Standardized mouth for 6g and 5g.
  • Uniform size and shape.
  • Will not crack if hot liquid is poured into. However it may become damaged this way.
Disadvantages
  • Not as clear for viewing.
  • Can be scratched.
  • Will show signs of wear and tear.
  • Ultra long term oxygen permeablilty questioned by some.
  • Tendency to flex if you pick up a full one, possibly allowing airlock water into your wort.
  • Will not hold negative pressure which is important if you use a Wort Wizard.
  • Tendancy to be confused with other plastic bottles of similar look but made with inferior quality.

I don't buy at all that BB's are easier to clean. There is no surface more non-porous (and therefore stain-resistant) than glass, and I would argue that the fact you can't use a carboy brush on a BB makes them harder to clean.

GoBrewers said:
I don't buy at all that BB's are easier to clean. There is no surface more non-porous (and therefore stain-resistant) than glass, and I would argue that the fact you can't use a carboy brush on a BB makes them harder to clean.

The fact that they're lighter and you don't have to stress about breaking them makes it easier to get them into the sink and to swirl cleaners/sanitizers around, though. I can fill a BB with cleaner, cover the end with my hand, and shake it aggressively, then lift it upside down to rinse it out. I can do the same with glass, but not as easily (because of the weight) and certainly not as safely.

I think I would add clarity to the better bottles as well. I certainly have no trouble seeing through mine. In fact they are clearer than a couple of the glass carboys I have because they have those raised lines going all around them.

BB is a gift from the beer gods for people with feeble backs

Like me

ah I had nothing better to do so I filled it in with ollllllllllllllllllo's points.

for areating with a BB it is really easy of your a shaker, put a stopper in it lay it on its side ont he counter top and start shaking you dont have to hold the whole heavy bottle to shake it up for areation!

the_bird said:
The fact that they're lighter and you don't have to stress about breaking them makes it easier to get them into the sink and to swirl cleaners/sanitizers around, though. I can fill a BB with cleaner, cover the end with my hand, and shake it aggressively, then lift it upside down to rinse it out. I can do the same with glass, but not as easily (because of the weight) and certainly not as safely.

Since it's not wise to use a carboy brush on them, is this procedure enough to clean out the trub from the bottom? If not, what do you use to get it out?

Actually, they do get pretty clean with the rinse/shake method. I did use a carboy brush on one once- after a messy wine fermentation with lots of krausen. Otherwise, it seems like the "stuff" just rinses right off. But I only use them for secondary, so I've never had too much crud on them.

http://www.better-bottle.com/technical/b-b_cleaning_right.html

Washing
Hot water and the right detergents do an excellent job without scrubbing. Never use stiff brushes, abrasive scouring pads, or cleansers.

Detergents recommended for winemaking and beer brewing do not damage Better-Bottle carboys and related components when used according to the manufacturer's instructions (See Detergents below). It is rarely necessary to remove a Racking Outlet from a carboy in order to clean it. Patiently soaking a carboy in a solution of low-suds detergent and hot water is an easy and effective way to loosen stubborn contamination, which can then be rinsed out. For faster results, put a few cups hot wash solution into a carboy, add a face cloth, and vigorously slosh the solution and cloth. Better-Bottle carboys are light, so sloshing the carboy in your hands will not be difficult; however, rocking the carboy back and forth on its side or rocking it on a tennis ball placed under its punt requires even less effort. At each stage of washing a carboy fitted with a Carboy Adapter and High-Flow valve, the valve should be opened to allow some of the solution in the carboy to run into and though the valve.

Just found this one tonight when washing it out for tomorrow, this is why Better Bottles really are better. Replacement is on it's way from AHS.
7726-100_0952.JPG

Notice the large crack.

Don't forget with plastic you have to watch out when lifing them casue they will suck air back in through the airlock thus sucking in your lock water.

I use both. Been using 12g plastic atm. now.. if i could only score about 3 or 4 12g+ SS conicals....

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Don't forget with plastic you have to watch out when lifing them casue they will suck air back in through the airlock thus sucking in your lock water.

I use both. Been using 12g plastic atm. now.. if i could only score about 3 or 4 12g+ SS conicals....

Yeah, I've heard about this, but have not seen it. I grab my Better Bottle by the neck and the bottom to transport. Then again, I put vodka in my airlocks, so if I get suckback, I simply get a boost to the abv % :D:D

kingjam said:
How did that crack happen??

Not sure, I put it in the tub to fill with water and turned it around to rinse the sides. When I turned it to that side I noticed the crack. I think it has been there since I put it up Saturday. Maybe something bumped it in the cabinet like my wort chiller, I really don't know. I always keep my brew hauler on it to give it a little extra protection too. :(

That is the reason I switched to BB's. I do not want to die from a carboy explosion.

"[*]Can be scratched.

[*]Will show signs of wear and tear.

[*]Ultra long term oxygen permeablilty questioned by some.

[*]Tendency to flex if you pick up a full one, possibly allowing airlock water into your wort."

Just those mentioned above will keep me from buying a BB. Scratches could harbor bacteria, and I wouldn't doubt if some airlock water got in, that's an additional risk. Not to mention it's not fully known if it's oxygen permeable.

In my opinion, it seems better bottles are bought for convenience of weight and fear of glass shattering. Also, don't think that these BB won't break. Of course, they will not shatter, but if you were to drop 5+ gallons of wort on, lets say concrete, I'm sure it could bust. They are a bit safer, but I think I will stick to glass.

[*]Can be scratched. Yeah, if you stick something in them. I wash mine out immediatly after use

[*]Will show signs of wear and tear. After how many years? I'll just buy more.
[*]Ultra long term oxygen permeablilty questioned by some. My stuff does not stay in them longer than 3 months and I've had no adverse effect.

[*]Tendency to flex if you pick up a full one, possibly allowing airlock water into your wort." At least I can pick it up without rupturing a disc.

When I got back into brewing, I sold all my glass carboys and picked up Better Bottles. My back is much happier now and they are a breeze to clean, sanitize, and drain.

15GallonsApfelwein33days.jpg

Storing them when empty is a breeze too, but I prefer to keep mine full. :D

Like I said, it seems most people buy them for convenience of weight and no glass shattering. Obviously it's a very debatable subject, and either one will work fine. I'm just saying that I would perfer carboys over plastic, though others may disagree. This is normal :)

If I had back problems or pulled muscles, I'm sure I'd definitely go with BB. But for right now, I'm with glass. Thanks!!

Here's a related question. BB's are made of PET plastic, which is the plastic that's supposed to keep oxygen out. PET plastic is exclusively labeled a "1" in terms of recyclable plastic.

Say we get 5 g PET bottles delivered to us for use at work at the water cooler. Could these be used as beer carboys? The bottle manufacture, Valco, claims the same oxygen resistance in their marketing materials. Do you think it would work?

Just a FYI...I poured very hot water in my 6G BB tonight and it melted down like the f*&^ing witch on Wizard of OZ. Had to go back to the ol'bucket. SUCKED.

jmjbj_h said:
Just a FYI...I poured very hot water in my 6G BB tonight and it melted down like the f*&^ing witch on Wizard of OZ. Had to go back to the ol'bucket. SUCKED.

Dude -- that's a hell of a lot better than what would have happened it you had poured it into a glass carboy!

jmjbj_h said:

Why would you put water hot enough to melt a BB in it? What temp is your water heater set at? Or did you heat water on the stove and pour it in?

Try that with a glass carboy. The results will be much more exciting.

The Better Bottles have been tested with water at 140 degrees without issue. It only takes 6 seconds of contact with water that temp to cause a f*&^ing serious burn dude.

PenPen said:
Here's a related question. BB's are made of PET plastic, which is the plastic that's supposed to keep oxygen out. PET plastic is exclusively labeled a "1" in terms of recyclable plastic.

Say we get 5 g PET bottles delivered to us for use at work at the water cooler. Could these be used as beer carboys? The bottle manufacture, Valco, claims the same oxygen resistance in their marketing materials. Do you think it would work?

I was thinking the same thing Walmart is selling them water bottles for $8 5gal
would make a good secondary?? in my case a 3rd secondary hmmm...

BB's for me just cant risk it with kids in the house

Wizza said:
I was thinking the same thing Walmart is selling them water bottles for $8 5gal
would make a good secondary?? in my case a 3rd secondary hmmm...

I would not risk it for saving 10 bucks. Here's what the BB site talks about when comparing BB to Plastic Water Carboys. It makes logical sense when you look at those blue bottles with handles molded into them.

Clarity and Color — Better-Bottle carboys are clear and colorless. It is not possible to view fermentation when carboys are molded from translucent or opaque plastics. Colored carboys contain dyes and their color distorts the color of wine and beer.

Cleaning — The surfaces of Better-Bottle carboys and fittings are so hydrophobic and non-porous that they wash easily and rinse down quickly. Opaque or translucent carboys are likely to be made of plastics that have porous, wetable surfaces, and they are much more difficult to wash and rinse clean.

Back