Chest freezer: Inside or Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chest Freezer: Outside or Inside?

• Innie

• Outtie

Results are only viewable after voting.

scotched

Reaction score
I got a Woods 7 cu.ft chest freezer for $75 today.
This past week, I also got my 2 keg + co2 kit from you-know-where.

Very exciting times. :ban:

The only question is, inside the room vs in the garage?
Which do you prefer?

Def. innie! Virginia weather is too cold in the winter and it would be running all the time in the summer (it hit 97 today in May!)

Whatever SWMBO will let you get away with. I prefer inside just because it is a more controlled environment, but she'd prefer a better place for it :)

I'm too worried about neighborhood punks stealing my beer to leave mine outside. That and my guard dog thinks that having as many people as possible in his backyard is a good thing.

I was leaning towards inside too. White makes it look big.

Woods.jpg

I have mine in my garage, in texas. Works great, and is secure since we always have the garage door closed.

I have mine in my garage, in texas. Works great, and is secure since we always have the garage door closed.

Noticed I had King of the Hill on on the background^:mug:

It it safe to assume most of you guys with the kegging stuff in the garage, also do your DRINKing in the garage.

The garage should be fine if space is an issue. Chest freezers are extremely well insulated and efficient so I wouldn't worry about it using a lot of energy for cooling in the summer unless your garage is like 20 degrees warmer than it is outside in the summer. Since you are holding it around 67-68 degrees and not freezing I would image the yearly cost of operation would be less than $10 because of how efficient chest freezers are. You may still have to bring your brews indoors during the winter though because I'm sure it gets below 60 there regularly in winter months. If you have the room inside and nobody objects to you having it in there then you may want to do that just so you can use it year round.

Noticed I had King of the Hill on on the background^:mug:
It it safe to assume most of you guys with the kegging stuff in the garage, also do your DRINKing in the garage.

Hah oh yeh.. that show is so accurate it's not even funny. As far as drinking in the garage.. not typically, maybe in spring and fall when the weather is nice.. but i'm not much one for drinking a beer in a 100 degree garage.

Chest freezers are extremely well insulated and efficient so I wouldn't worry about it using a lot of energy for cooling in the summer unless your garage is like 20 degrees warmer than it is outside in the summer. Since you are holding it around 67-68 degrees .

Uhh.. that's a bit warm for my taste! my freezer is set at about 34-36.

I hardly ever hear it kick on it.. so i'm sure it doesn't cost much to run. and most of the winter, it probably hardly ever runs.

Uhh.. that's a bit warm for my taste! my freezer is set at about 34-36.

Oops i didn't read the whole post and just assumed it was being used to keep fermentation cool for some reason (probably because i've been looking for one for that purpose for fermentation this summer since we don't run the AC inside here in Oregon but it can occasionally get hot).

If its for keeping your kegs cool and space is an issue then just put it in the garage because it rarely freezes in Pasadena and I would think that if it dipped below 32 it wouldn't be that far below and the garage temp would probably be slightly warmer than outside and the chest freezer would provide additional insulation to keep it from freezing. But if you need easier access to it then put it inside.

Back