Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begin2Brew

Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, my second lager and this one I used a starter and it went hard and fast. Checked the gravity and was at 1.021, SG was 1.051. Gave it a taste and you can really taste the diacetyl. The sample was good but finishes with a slippery, buttery flavor. It's more like a synthetic flavor but you can definitely taste it. Brought it up stairs at room temp for a few and see how it finishes.

Can you post how it turns out from doing this? I have a batch that I have been lagering for a couple of week now. If my brew has the off flavor, I may try what your doing but I may have to take it up one level because I have already tacked into the secondary fermenter.

Sdragon980 said:
Can you post how it turns out from doing this? I have a batch that I have been lagering for a couple of week now. If my brew has the off flavor, I may try what your doing but I may have to take it up one level because I have already tacked into the secondary fermenter.

You should do it sooner than later. The yeast still need to do some work so it's better to diacetyl rest before you hit your finish gravity.

Back