What size pot for 10 gallon BIAB batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty close...

With 28 pounds of malt, you are going to have room for the full water compliment.

Now, designing something to lift that grain sack out :)

it it were you, would you go larger or smaller?
i dont do many big beers.

If it were me... Id leave it at 20

That will accomodate a bigger beer... yet be reasonable for smaller beers.

Id go 20

Could you line the pot with a bag, and put half of your grain in / on it, then use another bag over the initial layer grain and the other half of the grain on top of that second bag? I guess you couldn't stir the bottom layer very easily. Hmmmm!

That is pretty close...

With 28 pounds of malt, you are going to have room for the full water compliment.

Now, designing something to lift that grain sack out :)

I'm curious about this as well. I'm using a converted keggle (one outlet-diptube/ball valve) is it possible to do a 10 gallon all grain BIAB with my setup? I do not have a mlt, I've been using my keggle with good results so far.

Just from the photos I've seen of most keg conversions, BIAB wouldn't work in a keggle because the opening at the top is smaller than the diameter of the keg. That big wad of grist is going to go to the bottom of the bag as it is lifted out, and almost certainly be wider than the opening of your keggle. The only way out I can see would be to have a bag that under no circumstances could be stretched wider than that opening. Otherwise, a straight-sided pot with a uniform diameter seems practical for BIAB.

Disclaimer: I have neither a keggle, nor have I ever brewed IAB, so I have nothing except ideas to base my post on. And I admit it.

I do 7G BIAB batches in a 15G kettle. I've completely topped the pot a few times. My setup boils off 3G during a 90 minute boil though. So I "collect" 10G after I pull the bag.

I am going to make a 10 gallon e-biab setup using a megapot 25 gallon pot with ball-valve.

Currently I have a 5 gallon setup using 2x 5 gallon pots(8 gallons starting water) and when i am mashing I am at the brim of the kettle.

A friend of mine that does 20gallon e-biabs, when he is mashing for 10 gallons(16 gallons starting water) on a standard beer, he is right at the brim as well. He has mentioned has has one boil over so far and never tried making a big beer yet.

I think the 25 gallon pot will prevent any potential boil off, and give you room to make big beers if desired. besides its only $30 more. The boil-off rate should be the same due to the 25 pot being the same diameter just a few inches taller.

Alternatively, u can add water post mash if u choose the 20gallon pot

Back